The Student Room Group

Lawyer with law degree from OU?

I know studying law from a respected uni is probably a recommended idea but could someone still become a lawyer with a law degree from the OU?
Reply 1
Original post by SIOCD
I know studying law from a respected uni is probably a recommended idea but could someone still become a lawyer with a law degree from the OU?

Don't take this as definitive, but I believe you can.
Original post by SIOCD

Hi @SIOCD!

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot become a lawyer with a LLB from OU. Whether you want to become a Solicitor or Barrister, your legal education does not end after undergrad. Therefore, where you did your undergrad becomes slightly less important than potentially within other careers as there will be a qualification past your LLB that is more important when people are looking to hire. Also, the supposed prejudice that perhaps used to accompany different universities is certainly becoming something of the past. In most application processes for becoming employed as a lawyer, the chambers or firm tend to remove information such as where you studied so that there is no underlying bias. Therefore, wherever you choose to study, if you get a good grade at undergrad then it will not hold you back in the future!

Good luck :smile:

Sophie
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @SIOCD!

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot become a lawyer with a LLB from OU. Whether you want to become a Solicitor or Barrister, your legal education does not end after undergrad. Therefore, where you did your undergrad becomes slightly less important than potentially within other careers as there will be a qualification past your LLB that is more important when people are looking to hire. Also, the supposed prejudice that perhaps used to accompany different universities is certainly becoming something of the past. In most application processes for becoming employed as a lawyer, the chambers or firm tend to remove information such as where you studied so that there is no underlying bias. Therefore, wherever you choose to study, if you get a good grade at undergrad then it will not hold you back in the future!

Good luck :smile:

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your response. It's good that there's more opportunities today for jobs that throughout history have been designed for the elite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending