The Student Room Group

Does GCSE Add Math (Further Math) required for A-Level Further Math ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aethomson
Normal maths not further. There’s like two bits different but the rest is essentially the same. It’s just more problem solving. Also im pretty sure we didn't do linear programming at GCSE further unless we called it something else.

Where is the matrices in normal A level? Level 2 [it's not a GCSE] FM lacks a lot of the AS content - none of the stats or mechanics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry - we have done extensive research on this and it is NOT worth risking non 9s in other GCSEs not just Maths

I agree with this.
Reply 22
It's not linked to FMaths A level at all now FM is linear.

Ok thanks
Where is the matrices in normal A level? Level 2 [it's not a GCSE] FM lacks a lot of the AS content - none of the stats or mechanics.

Yeh that’s one of the things that’s different. I said it was similar to AS maths not further maths twice now.
Yeh that’s one of the things that’s different. I said it was similar to AS maths not further maths twice now.

You said it WAS the same as ASmaths - it just isn't.
You said it WAS the same as ASmaths - it just isn't.

It basically was. Like from a students perspective it was. My whole year finished the AS course Uber fast cause it was so similar.
It basically was. Like from a students perspective it was. My whole year finished the AS course Uber fast cause it was so similar.

Where is the stats and mechanics?! Many other gaps too ... you are mistaken
Where is the stats and mechanics?! Many other gaps too ... you are mistaken

I mean ok you can say that. Doesn’t change my and my classmates experience though
I mean ok you can say that. Doesn’t change my and my classmates experience though

Nor mine ...
Hi i think that it is recommended u hv it but not required
Good luck with the future
Reply 30
Original post by saad_i_11
Hi, I wanted to know if it is recommended to only take AS Further Maths only if someone has taken further maths at GCSE which is also known as Additional Math. Is taking further maths with a grade scale of 8 or 9 of GCSE math enough. I am focusing if the student can perform well with grade 8 or 9 or additional maths at GCSE is the only right way to perform well at further maths AS-Level

GCSE FM is not required to take A-Level FM and if you are performing at 8 or 9, you will find yourself doing well in it.
You get taught the baseline concepts of calculus in GCSE FM but you learn them and get accustomed to applying them very quickly at maths. If you're reaching high grades in GCSE Maths, I recommend taking Further Maths as it gives a more intuitive understanding of what you're taught in A-level.
A caution is that A2 FM is the most reliant on independent study when compared to any other A-level and your awarded grade is not allowed to be higher than that of A2 Maths.
Reply 31
Original post by saad_i_11
Like further maths is a waste of time at A levels too??

FM is definitely not a waste of time at Alevels, some universities don't allow you to take Mathematics without an FM Alevel; you will also be given a highly intuitive understanding of the concepts you learn at A-level. Also, some topics are just really fun.
Original post by JayDC
GCSE FM is not required to take A-Level FM and if you are performing at 8 or 9, you will find yourself doing well in it.
You get taught the baseline concepts of calculus in GCSE FM but you learn them and get accustomed to applying them very quickly at maths. If you're reaching high grades in GCSE Maths, I recommend taking Further Maths as it gives a more intuitive understanding of what you're taught in A-level.
A caution is that A2 FM is the most reliant on independent study when compared to any other A-level and your awarded grade is not allowed to be higher than that of A2 Maths.

I strongly advise against level 2 FM - it is not needed and takes time away from other subjects.
Reply 33
Original post by JayDC

So that means I can't get an A in FM if I got a B in maths??
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest