The Student Room Group

BTEC Sport Level 3 National Extended Certificate .VS. Computer Science A Level

I’m currently set to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A level.

However, I am having second thoughts about studying computer science and as I have a passion for sport was considering studying Sport instead.

I’m looking to do a Maths degree potentially so A level Maths, Further Maths and Physics will get me there.

Not sure what to do. I studied Computer Science at GCSE and liked it and am probably set for a grade 7/8 in it. Not fond of the programming section in A Level and won’t need it for the future. Also some theory could be potentially boring and difficult.

I studied GCSE PE and loved the course. As I’m maths oriented it didn’t cross my mind to do a sports course at college until now.

Any thoughts?
(edited 9 months ago)
Hi,

Is there a particular reason for picking 4 subjects?

I think before making any decisions, check what universities require.

If they need 4 subjects then personally i'd go for computer science which is more in-line with a maths degree (depending on their requirements). However, if you only need 3 subjects to secure a place at university, then go for the subject which is of more interest (assuming this is PE) as it may not effect whether you get in, as long as you meet the requirements of the other subjects.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _Shannon.k.s_
Hi,

Is there a particular reason for picking 4 subjects?

I think before making any decisions, check what universities require.

If they need 4 subjects then personally i'd go for computer science which is more in-line with a maths degree (depending on their requirements). However, if you only need 3 subjects to secure a place at university, then go for the subject which is of more interest (assuming this is PE) as it may not effect whether you get in, as long as you meet the requirements of the other subjects.

Hope this helped :smile:

Further Maths has to be taken as a 4th subject so I have to do 4.
Ah that makes sense. There are pros and cons to both.

If universities only require maths, physics and further maths, then personally i'd say go for an "add on" subject that you prefer and might be easier as it would be a nice break from the heavier subjects and it could open more paths in the future if needed.

Also, if you're worried about taking computer science because of the difficulty, then i would only take it if necessary, especially with it being an extra A-level. However, it really does depend on which you prefer though as computer science can still be manageable if you like it, especially as you have high grades in it already.
Reply 4
Original post by _Shannon.k.s_
Ah that makes sense. There are pros and cons to both.

If universities only require maths, physics and further maths, then personally i'd say go for an "add on" subject that you prefer and might be easier as it would be a nice break from the heavier subjects and it could open more paths in the future if needed.

Also, if you're worried about taking computer science because of the difficulty, then i would only take it if necessary, especially with it being an extra A-level. However, it really does depend on which you prefer though as computer science can still be manageable if you like it, especially as you have high grades in it already.

Thank you! That really helps. I think I’m going to change to sport.. seeing as I don’t need computer science.
No worries, there is always the option of trying out both at the beginning just to get a feel of both subjects :smile:
Reply 6
Consider

Warwickshire institute of sport (Aspire2be Academy) or similar

College or university courses in sport

Express Interest
https://aspire2becoaching.co.uk/academy-of-sport/express-your-interest/

Also Accommodation for HE University courses after if you decide to stay longer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending