The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Kaplan/Essex Online Msc CS program

Hello All,

I’ve discovered the online Msc CS conversion course at Essex online. I’m in the U.S and most MSCS require high level math like calculus and discrete mathematics. The conversion course seems attractive for accessibility, but I’m not sure how employers in the US would hire someone with a conversion CS degree. Has anyone heard of US students being hire in the US with this conversion CS degree? Does the Essex course provide graduate level CS course content?
I discovered that Essex Online only launched their Computing Department in Spring 2020, with the first student intake in September 2020. So they won't have produced any MSc graduates yet.
Like you, I am not sure if the module content is going to be advanced enough. Still thinking about it
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hello All,

I’ve discovered the online Msc CS conversion course at Essex online. I’m in the U.S and most MSCS require high level math like calculus and discrete mathematics. The conversion course seems attractive for accessibility, but I’m not sure how employers in the US would hire someone with a conversion CS degree. Has anyone heard of US students being hire in the US with this conversion CS degree? Does the Essex course provide graduate level CS course content?

I have been looking at Glyndwr Wrexham online Masters, where the modules seem a bit tougher and hence probably more useful. It doesn't say conversion course in its title etc, but the entry criteria are for undergrads from any subject, so it fits the bill. Check it out and post back any comments; ta. https://online.glyndwr.ac.uk/online-programmes/#
Original post by Anonymous
Hello All,

I was talking to a guy from the US who is a cyber security expert. He said half the people he works with in the US don't even have degrees related to CS. Some of them have psychology degrees and others have criminology degrees. So it really depends on which area of CS you want to work in, because not all CS-related jobs require a master's that is heavily maths-focused. Web developers in the US often don't have a degree either, and it's the same with people working in Networking.

If I was in your situation, I'd pick my dream company (like Google, or PwC or whatever your idea is of a good place to work), and see if they have a recruitment adviser who can tell you what qualifications are expected for your dream job at that company so you can work towards that. Most large companies have a generic email address for recruitment questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending