The Student Room Group

Graduating uni with a 2.2, what do I do?

I studied in Scotland for 4yrs to get BSc in medical sciences. The first two years I did great despite being quite sick physically (I have endometriosis and had 2 surgeries). My grades were around 1st/2.1. However, after the start of my third year I had a complete nervous breakdown and ended up in psychiatric hospital for a few weeks. I was diagnosed with BPD and PTSD while I was inpatient. I was still able to pull through somehow, despite of the pandemic, getting absolutely no help from NHS and being completely alone and isolated for the rest of the year. My GPA for 3rd year for 2.1 so not that bad but then came the 4th year.

I had close family member die in a car accident midway the 1st semester and I was back at psychiatric hospital again due to suicidal behaviour and being borderline psychotic. At that point my family came to get me home, I had stayed close to uni until then. I got home and was immediately put on sick leave and to intensive outpatient care, where I got extra diagnoses for severe depression and OCPD. I wasn’t able to do my dissertation this year so that will move on to the next one but I had to do my exams during summer resits for this year which are 75% of 4th year grades and I tried but I know my grades for the exams are going to be around 3rd.

One part of me is too depressed to even care but I also know that getting bad grades will effect my future. I just don’t know what to do if I get a 2.2 from my degree despite trying so hard. Any advice? Should I just drop out at this point?

Oh and for our course your final grade is 30% 3rd year and 70% 4th year.
Original post by Anonymous
I studied in Scotland for 4yrs to get BSc in medical sciences. The first two years I did great despite being quite sick physically (I have endometriosis and had 2 surgeries). My grades were around 1st/2.1. However, after the start of my third year I had a complete nervous breakdown and ended up in psychiatric hospital for a few weeks. I was diagnosed with BPD and PTSD while I was inpatient. I was still able to pull through somehow, despite of the pandemic, getting absolutely no help from NHS and being completely alone and isolated for the rest of the year. My GPA for 3rd year for 2.1 so not that bad but then came the 4th year.

I had close family member die in a car accident midway the 1st semester and I was back at psychiatric hospital again due to suicidal behaviour and being borderline psychotic. At that point my family came to get me home, I had stayed close to uni until then. I got home and was immediately put on sick leave and to intensive outpatient care, where I got extra diagnoses for severe depression and OCPD. I wasn’t able to do my dissertation this year so that will move on to the next one but I had to do my exams during summer resits for this year which are 75% of 4th year grades and I tried but I know my grades for the exams are going to be around 3rd.

One part of me is too depressed to even care but I also know that getting bad grades will effect my future. I just don’t know what to do if I get a 2.2 from my degree despite trying so hard. Any advice? Should I just drop out at this point?

It's not at all certain that you will get a 2.2 overall. If you haven't already, I would speak to your personal tutor about this and your head of department and make the uni well aware of all your circumstances so they can take it into account - people with mitigating circumstaces can be helped to achieve the grades they deserve. Do not drop out when you have come so far.

Even if you do get a 2.2 there will still be lots of options open to you with that grade. As just one example, my son is starting on the NHS General Management scheme in September - they were only looking for a 2.2 or above and you will find lots of other opportunites like that too.

Edited to ask if @PQ or @Admit-One or @McGinger have anything to add?
(edited 2 years ago)
I wouldn’t say to drop out, worst case scenario you can pick up a masters at another university. I have a mate who’s got a 2.2 in Biomedical Science and is working as a Biomedical Scientist now.

I’m currently looking for a position to give myself an IBMS portfolio so I can do the same but right now I’m working as an associate practitioner (Band 4) in order to get enough experience under my belt to apply for a trainee BMS position to get a IBMS portfolio for myself. 🙂

People have this misconception a 2.2 is the end of the world. Truth be told, it’s not ideal but to throw it away is in my opinion, silly.

So, personally I would carry on, despite a 2.2 classification. Good luck!

You can ask to repeat your final year due to mitigating circumstances. If you are receiving student finance, you can apply to get another year of finance.

Original post by harrysbar
Edited to ask if @PQ or @Admit-One or @McGinger have anything to add?

Just to add that the Students Union may be able to assist with support and guidance for the processes regarding mitigating circumstances/ repeating a year if necessary.

Even if you exhaust all options for improving your classification, you can still pursue postgrad study or get a decent job. You may reduce your options in some cases, but it’s definitely worth completing.

I’ve got a 2:2 myself and in all honesty it hasn’t affected my career to any great extent. Obviously an unpopular position here on TSR :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest