The Student Room Group

Online course

I have been looking at doing a online cyber security course to try and move into that field of work know however I don't know which provider is right and most trustable to actually give me a good chance of achieving the qualifications. Soo far I have looked at Ecareers and learning people but both just seem like they just want to take your money and thats it. Is there anyone who has experience with them. And also is there anyone who has moved into cyber security and how they did it.
The Open Uni do a BSc in Cyber Security. Have you thought of studying a few modules there and using them to gain entry into the degree (if you intend to)? If you contact the Uni, they can advise on which modules to take. But many students follow this route.

If you just want to go straight into work, then you could maybe study the degree at the OU and use the studies as a way to get into the sector.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/computing-it/degrees/bsc-cyber-security-r60
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,
Yeah I thought of open university however I've already graduated in Computing last year and started working recently at my new job. Also I'm sure they give you academic certificates and not professional ones. These online courses take about 6 months and university could be 6 years.
Original post by dannyt_99
Hi,
Yeah I thought of open university however I've already graduated in Computing last year and started working recently at my new job. Also I'm sure they give you academic certificates and not professional ones. These online courses take about 6 months and university could be 6 years.

You can still study Certificates at the Open Uni that involve maybe 2-3 modules. Or just study a Cert of HE to get your foot in the door. Also, you can get funding for a second part-time degree in STEM subjects. Just in case it's of any interest.
Original post by dannyt_99
I have been looking at doing a online cyber security course to try and move into that field of work know however I don't know which provider is right and most trustable to actually give me a good chance of achieving the qualifications. Soo far I have looked at Ecareers and learning people but both just seem like they just want to take your money and thats it. Is there anyone who has experience with them. And also is there anyone who has moved into cyber security and how they did it.

Hi @dannyt_99 thank you for your query and question.

As a Learning People rep I'd love to be able to reassure you a little more about our career pathways in cyber security. Some online learning providers just offer the online training and leave the student to their training without any further support. The way that we help our students is through our Career Services and job placements, as well as our student support to make sure each student is helped at every point throughout their journey.

Our Career Services team is made up of recruitment experts. They'll coach you on navigating the jobs market, updating your CV and LinkedIn profile, and help you land a role in the industry. They also hold monthly student workshops where everyone shares insights and advice on the jobs market, helping each other out and learning more from the Career Services team.

We also offer a dedicated StudentCare team, expert mentors, student group for peer-to-peer support, live virtual classrooms with industry expert tutors, student discount card, and all your exam fees are paid for, with unlimited resits.

Make sure you check out our student videos or our student success stories to see how our students found their training and how they landed a job in cyber security. We also have a collection of virtual seminars on YouTube where you can watch even more student interviews from people who have found success through our career pathways and online training.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions, or if you'd like to speak to a cyber security career consultant about your options please let me know and I can put you in touch. Genuinely, the success of our students is what drives us and brings us to work everyday, and it always puts a huge smile on my face to see those who have found their dream jobs. As a company, we are delighted to be able to offer the end-to-end experience for all our students and watch them grow into successful tech professionals!

I hope that helps,
Jenny at Learning People
Reply 5
@dannyt_99 have you looked at Cambridge digital academy? if you are heading for cyber security, you get access to so much support and career advise.
Did you succeed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending