The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

L i b
Nah, that's just straight-up nonsense.

Perhaps an argument
manderlay in flames
wtf? Agnostics never heard of religion?

Some don't know much about it. Given that atheism is simply a plain denial of God, there's not much to tell them about.
manderlay in flames
Perhaps an argument

Argument = Reason(s) + Conclusion =/= Assertion
Reply 303
Calumcalum
Some don't know much about it. Given that atheism is simply a plain denial of God, there's not much to tell them about.

I suppose that's true. Religious posters tend to be a bit more specific. If a religious poster just said "there is a god" then it would be about the same.

If they really wanted to get people interested in the humanist movement a better slogan would be something like "You don't need god to have faith".
Calumcalum

There's several arguments to do with the nonexistence of God though, and it's nice to know other people share your views and societies exist for you
Psyk
I suppose that's true. Religious posters tend to be a bit more specific. If a religious poster just said "there is a god" then it would be about the same.

If they really wanted to get people interested in the humanist movement a better slogan would be something like "You don't need god to have faith".

Exactly. :smile: 'There is a God' would be amusing, hehe.
manderlay in flames
There's several arguments to do with the nonexistence of God though, and it's nice to know other people share your views and societies exist for you

Yeah but why would they want to know them? Why does it matter? It's not like they're 'wasting their lives' on religion, and the assertion 'God doesn't exist' is hardly going to stimulate them to find reasons for it. If they cared that much, they'd have researched it all already. And I doubt many agnostics feel alone in their beliefs. Well, it depends what you mean by agnostic. I'm technically agnostic but 'God doesn't exist' on a bus isn't going to convince me/stimulate me to do anything.
Reply 307
Calumcalum
Because I think it's a waste of money.
It is not just about making people smile though, it is also about raising the profile of Humanism, both through the adverts and through the publicity surrounding the adverts. If greatly raising the profile of Humanism helps a Humanist organization achieve its goal - a goal which it believes is a worthy one - then isn't it money well spent? If they think people adopting their beliefs will be beneficial to humanity then making others simply aware of Humanism surely must be one of the initial goals?
Reply 308
Calumcalum
I'm technically agnostic
Huh? Did I miss something?!
Kolya
It is not just about making people smile though, it is also about raising the profile of Humanism, both through the adverts and through the publicity surrounding the adverts. If greatly raising the profile of Humanism helps a Humanist organization achieve its goal - a goal which it believes is a worthy one - then isn't it money well spent? If they think people adopting their beliefs will be beneficial to humanity then making others simply aware of Humanism surely must be one of the initial goals?

What exactly is the goal?

"Ours is a fun and light-hearted message but it does have a serious point to it: that atheists want a secular country, we want a secular school and a secular government."

is a quote I found, would you agree with that? And what do you mean by humanism?
Kolya
Huh? Did I miss something?!

Depends what you mean by agnostic, I suppose.
Reply 311
Calumcalum

"Ours is a fun and light-hearted message but it does have a serious point to it: that atheists want a secular country, we want a secular school and a secular government."

is a quote I found, would you agree with that? And what do you mean by humanism?
Yes, I think the goal is both to be light-hearted and "alternative" compared to the strong Christian adverts that are on buses, but also to raise the profile of the organization - the British Humanist Association. The BHA campaigns for all those things that the quote has listed. In other words, just to let people know that it exists (and that Humanism exists!).

Here is a brief explanation of their beliefs: http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=309

Calumcalum
By agnostic, I mean undecided (either temporarily or permanently) about whether any sort of higher being exists. I would include those who simply sceptical of claims - especially those sceptical of a god as portrayed in major religions - or those who are still thinking the question over, and those who think that the existence of god is a meaningless/stupid question. (The latter are sometimes known as ignostics.) They aren't saying that god does not exist; they are saying that the current arguments for god, the ones they are aware of, are not convincing enough for them at the present moment, and so they suspend affirmation of "god exists".
Reply 312
Calumcalum

The most general definition of agnostic is the belief that it is impossible to know whether or not god exists. Going by that definition it's not mutually exclusive with theism or atheism. An agnostic theist believes in god even though they don't think it's possible to actually know for sure. Is that what you're getting at?

Calumcalum

I think that's a pretty good goal. But I don't think it's a very good way of going about it.
Kolya
Yes, I think the goal is both to be light-hearted and "alternative" compared to the strong Christian adverts that are on buses, but also to raise the profile of the organization - the British Humanist Association. The BHA campaigns for all those things that the quote has listed. In other words, just to let people know that it exists (and that Humanism exists!).

Here is a brief explanation of their beliefs: http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=309

Depends what you mean by secular, I suppose. If you took it to completely ignore any religion or anything, I think that'd be ignoring half the country which I don't think is really acceptable... it's effectively wanting an atheist country. I'm not implying atheism and secularism are synonymous, but I don't think secularism can apply to government.

By agnostic, I mean undecided (either temporarily or permanently) about whether any sort of higher being exists. I would include those who simply sceptical of claims - especially those sceptical of a god as portrayed in major religions - or those who are still thinking the question over, and those who think that the existence of god is a meaningless/stupid question. (The latter are sometimes known as ignostics.) They aren't saying that god does not exist; they are saying that the current arguments for god, the ones they are aware of, are not convincing enough for them at the present moment, and so they suspend affirmation of "god exists".

Yeah, I'd say I'm an agnostic Christian. I suppose it's in the same way that a few Christians wouldn't say they KNOW they're right, although I suppose I'm less sure of it. In terms of probability, I'd say we're too far away from the probability to be able to either quantify or qualify it. I think Christianity and Atheism are equally consistent with what we know, but I follow Christianity. :smile: Although I wouldn't say that the arguments for God aren't convincing enough for me to follow them, because I do. I'd say they're not convincing enough to BELIEVE them (if you define belief as the psychological state of holding something to be 100% true).
Psyk
The most general definition of agnostic is the belief that it is impossible to know whether or not god exists. Going by that definition it's not mutually exclusive with theism or atheism. An agnostic theist believes in god even though they don't think it's possible to actually know for sure. Is that what you're getting at?

Kindof. Although then it depends on what you mean by belief! I mean, if belief means the psychological state of thinking something is 100% true, then I suppose they WOULD think it's possible to know if God exists?

I think that's a pretty good goal. But I don't think it's a very good way of going about it.

I think it's neither a good goal nor a good way to go about it. :biggrin:
Reply 315
Meus
I don't understand why people are so fiercely against religion anyway

It's totally lame?
Reply 316
Calumcalum
Depends what you mean by secular, I suppose. If you took it to completely ignore any religion or anything, I think that'd be ignoring half the country which I don't think is really acceptable... it's effectively wanting an atheist country. I'm not implying atheism and secularism are synonymous, but I don't think secularism can apply to government.
I don't think the BHA want to ignore or eradicate religion. Rather, it "works for an open and inclusive society with freedom of belief and speech, and for an end to the privileged position of religion – and Christianity in particular – in law, education, broadcasting and wherever else it occurs." That's their goal, and I guess the "serious" goal of the posters is to raise awareness that an "ethically concerned" group is out there for those who don't have any religious or superstitious beliefs. (And somebody who is not religious, but is passively accepting of the current role of religion, did not know this group exists then knowing they exist may make them get involved in Humanism, or at least consider Humanist beliefs.)

Yeah, I'd say I'm an agnostic Christian. I suppose it's in the same way that a few Christians wouldn't say they KNOW they're right, although I suppose I'm less sure of it. In terms of probability, I'd say we're too far away from the probability to be able to either quantify or qualify it. I think Christianity and Atheism are equally consistent with what we know, but I follow Christianity. :smile: Although I wouldn't say that the arguments for God aren't convincing enough for me to follow them, because I do. I'd say they're not convincing enough to BELIEVE them (if you define belief as the psychological state of holding something to be 100% true).
I would probably call that "weak theism". (Although, of course, the tenets of a particular type of belief are more important than the label we attach to the type of belief.)
Calumcalum

How can you think secularism means 'ignoring' theists more than atheists? The entire point is to be neutral at a government level.
Reply 318
Calumcalum

Secularism doesn't really mean ignoring religion. A secular government is still going to have some policies relating to religion. The type of secularism I'm for is the type that means independent or irrespective of religion. It's more like being religion neutral. So for example a university is a secular organisation because the university doesn't care what religion you are, it makes no difference to their goals (educating you and doing research). A secular government is one that is not linked to any particular religion or religion in general, and it's policies are not influenced by religion. Except for policies that specifically relate to religion I suppose.

I think a secular government is a good thing because it means that people will not be subjected to rules of a religion they don't follow (of course sometimes religious laws will happen to be the same anyway, but I mean things like not eating pork, islamic dress, etc.). Also it in some ways protects smaller and less established religions because the major religions hold no kind of special status above them.

I really don't see it as wanting an atheist country. It's not like the government would be endorsing the position that god doesn't exist. It would be completely neutral. This also doesn't mean that people have to be non-religious to hold a position in government, they'd just have to keep their religion personal and not let it affect their decisions in their job.

I'm not suggesting a huge revolution here in the UK. I think the UK has a pretty good example of a secular government, in practice at least. Maybe there's a few policies here and there which I don't feel go by secular principles, but for the most part it's pretty neutral.
Reply 319
katieclick
er, no. this thread is asking for opinions, so i gave mine

Heh, so did I and look what that earned me: status of pillock.

So /free-speech and /my interest in this subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending