The Student Room Group

university choices help accounting and finance

my predicted grades are AAB and im looking for universities with a good nightlife and social life but i dont want to be in london, somewhere outside but not too far like manchester. I want to definitely apply to the flying start PwC accounting programme which is 1 of my ucas options but the other four unis im struggling to pick. The universities I have in mind is:

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

please help me choose or recommend other unis!!!!
Original post by roses.
my predicted grades are AAB and im looking for universities with a good nightlife and social life but i dont want to be in london, somewhere outside but not too far like manchester. I want to definitely apply to the flying start PwC accounting programme which is 1 of my ucas options but the other four unis im struggling to pick. The universities I have in mind is:

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

Have you been to any open days at these unis?

Bristol has a major student accommodation problem and some students have to live in Newport (Wales) so factor that into your pros/cons list.
Original post by roses.

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

Hi,

I hope you are doing well! I would say to carefully do your research into these unis and then make a decision from there! Attending open days and having a look at the area would definitely help as well! The University of Surrey is located in Guildford and there are 2 clubs in town, and the uni have their own club on campus as well, which doubles as an event space. It‘s only 40 minutes by train to London Waterloo station so it’s not far from London at all! I hope this helped, and if you have any other questions about Surrey or uni in general feel free to ask away!

Best regards,
Janelle (they/she)
International Hospitality and Tourism Management BSc
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by roses.

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

Hi,

Southampton is a great university for accounting and finance. The school of Business that it falls under is quite large and very well equiped. We have several modules that have been aredited and so give you exemptions from some of the professional exams you may want to take for your career. As a City, Southampton is not too busy but still well connected with buses (including a system designed around the University of Southampton) as well as two major train stations both about 1hr 20mins away from London Waterloo. About 20% of Southampton's population is comprised of students so the city is well tailored to students with an array of clubs and bars, which are varied in intesity (so there's a choice depending on how you're feeling). Socially, people are quite frienly in Southampton and,as a student, there are many society and social events you can get involved with throughout the year.

I hope this information has been useful to you. Please do consier all of your options carefully and do lots of research (including maybe going to see the universities) before making any final decisions

Best of luck
Matthew
Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Do you take a level maths - and if so what grade?
Reply 5
Avoid Bristol - its as expensive as London and there are serious accommodation problems.
Original post by roses.

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

Hi @roses.!
Great to hear you're considering Reading! 🙂

We have a number of different Accounting courses (which ask for ABB) that you can check out here. For Accounting and Finance our options include the usual 3-Year Bsc, or two different 4-year options - one is a year abroad and another is a placement year. Both are very popular as they allow our students to gain more hands-on experience before graduating which can really help when it comes to making job applications!

In terms of where we are; its only 20-25m into London on the Elizabeth line and you can get to anywhere in the South fairly easily from our train station. We have a dedicated bus route that runs from town/the station to the university campus itself which makes travelling, shopping, clubbing, and getting to any part-time roles you may have super easy. Nightlife is pretty fun here too - Reading is full of pubs and bars and including our students' union who always put events on, there's 5 or 6 different clubs in town you can go to! Our Student's Union offers 150+ societies you can join across your degree, and our on-campus halls are really popular and a super easy way to make friends.

I'd recommend when you make your decision you predominantly consider the course itself, campus, accommodation options and closeness to home - this really helped me narrow down my decision! Check out Reading's accommodation, student life and open day and visiting pages as a good place to get started! You might also want to chat to current student Neha; although she is studying our Flying Start Accounting and Business, she can give you some great insight into the department and studying here at Reading! But make sure you don't rush into a decision - you have plenty of time to weigh up your options and visit the unis to get a feel for them.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, we'll be more than happy to help!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Do you take a level maths - and if so what grade?

yep i do and my predicted is a B
Reply 8
Original post by roses.
yep i do and my predicted is a B

I think your list looks great! Have a look at Cardiff - much cheaper place to live than some of the others and a really interesting city.
Original post by roses.

reading
surrey
southampton
exeter
essex
kent
bristol
royal holloway

Hi @roses,
At Essex the accounting and finance degrees are part of the business school which is the first zero carbon emission business school in the UK and we are ranked Top 175 for Business and Economics in the WORLD University Ranking by Subject 2024.📈

All of our degrees offer students the opportunity to study abroad in one of our renowned university partnerships around the world or take a full year of placement in a institution of your choice between your second and third year of our course.🌎
Essex Abroad: Study Abroad | University of Essex
Essex Placement year: Work placements and Work Based Learning | University of Essex

In terms of distance from London we are around 45 minutes from London Liverpool Street and the train is direct to Colchester. We have three stations that serve Colchester and the university, Colchester main station, Colchester Town and Hythe.🚝
We offer easy access transportation from campus to Colchester town with buses coming ever 10 minutes and taking 15 minutes to get to town🚌 or 30 minutes walking.🚶*♂️🏃*♂️

We are proud of our extremely diverse culture having students from more than 140 countries attending Essex.
Our Students Union (SU) is ranked top 10 in term of students satisfaction and this is possible because is run by students for students.😎
The SU has more than 100 societies that you are welcome to join and usually every week each societies have different get together from game nights, movie nights ( we have a cinema room in our campus), barbeques, dinners, days out, get together at our SU bar for drinks, international mixers among others.

We also have 40 sports societies that you can join and every Wednesday they do socials where students get together to pre drink and than to go our SUB Zero which is our night club and have fun. There is usually a party team so people dress accordingly. Even if you do not play any sports you are welcome to attend. 💃
Every Year we celebrate Derby Day each year where our professional sports teams play against the University of East Anglia and that day is full of music, food and lost of fun things to do during the day. 🏌️*♂️🏆🥎🏈🥊🥋🥇

Apart from this every Monday at our SU bar we have Milk It where students Karaoke and after 10pm the bar is turn into a night club where our DJ society plays music.🎧🎹
At the Su bar the student union also host game nights, charade nights among other events on the weekend.
Our night club is open every day of the week with each night having a different party team. Famous guests are also invited to perform at our night club.
When there is big football matches the SU hosts big screenings as well as for the world matches the university sets up a big tend for students to get together and support their favourite teams.⛹️*♂️

Every Thursday we have a market where business from town came and sell their good which is very popular and majority of the times the DJ society is also playing music. 🍕🍜🍣🍧🍺
On Thursdays the SUB ZERO turns into a vintage clothing shop where we have a partnership with stores that came sell their clothes to students.👚👗🩱

At Essex we also celebrate major international celebrations such us Chinese new year and Holi among others where we have weeks with celebrations everyday and this helps students to know other cultures.

This is just a few things we offer in terms of social life at Essex.
We have an open day 20th January where you can came see first hand the Essex spirit.

If you have any questions let me know and I hope this information has made our decision easier!

Essex Official Rep- Cat😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending