The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Is Loughbrough now regarded as prestigous?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rxrx2004
thanks man. All I'm trying to do is figure out what makes oxford and Cambridge better than other universities and why employers find degrees from those unis more valuable. I'm trying to figure out which unis I should apply to so I can end up with a good job at the end of it.

You don't need to answer because I'm aware I keep asking you but is UCL good for sciences? I've heard it isn't but the uni itself is prestigious. Thoughts?

It’s an excellent university and attracts top students in all subjects. I would say it is more well known for other fields and perhaps not as strong as others in some areas of STEM, but this has more to do with their research output then their undergraduate courses.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by random_matt
UCL is a phenomenal university, whether that helps any better career wise, couldn't answer.

Original post by mnot
It’s an excellent university and attracts top students in all subjects. I would say it is more well known for other fields and perhaps not as strong as others in some areas of STEM, but this has more to do with their research output then their undergraduate courses.

thanks. Would you recommend UCL for science?

UCL>> bath /Bristol/ York?

I'm aware i have to look at other factors.

You need to decide what you want in a university & then you can evaluate if UCL fulfills your needs and how other universities stack up.

UCL>> bath /Bristol/ York?

I'm aware i have to look at other factors.

Probably, wouldn't know who is better at science, physics? UCL is ranked high, all I can say. But yeah, as above, go through all variables which are important to you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Not one bit :smile:

you dont think one bit? Even the management school? ofc i dont mean they are lse level. But lancaster has a pretty solid management school especially considering that lancaster is still a relatively newer uni than most others.
Original post by Anonymous
you dont think one bit? Even the management school? ofc i dont mean they are lse level. But lancaster has a pretty solid management school especially considering that lancaster is still a relatively newer uni than most others.

Nottingham or loughbrough rank better surely?
Nottingham or loughbrough rank better surely?

dont think lboro's management school is that great(at least thats what i've heard), they're better for sports and engineering. Its the same for nottingham too, they;re good for medicine/pharmacy,geography,perhaps engineering too but havent heard much about its business school
Original post by heythere12798
For the past now 5 years it appears Loughborough has done really well in uni rankings and have been consistently in top 10 - im just wondering if it is a good uni that will open lots of doors and not just well regarded for sports but also other subjects

IMO, no. It is quite a good uni overall, with strengths in Engineering and Sports subjects, but lacks depth. It also ranks quite average in the World rankings (THES, QS), which is the main measure the elite universities use to see where they are at on the global stage. In order to compete with universities in the Russell Group it needs a lot more money, a lot more professors and researchers etc.
dont think lboro's management school is that great(at least thats what i've heard), they're better for sports and engineering. Its the same for nottingham too, they;re good for medicine/pharmacy,geography,perhaps engineering too but havent heard much about its business school

Nottingham has excellent Economics & law schools, they are one of the 4 universities with PwC aligned finance programs; and are visited by the BB banks & MBB consultancy firms during campus recruiting (or at least before covid).
It always astounds me that Loughborough has such a good reputation yet Loughborough as a town remains so horrendous and unkempt, despite a couple of random cinema complexes that have been added and do nothing to improve actual town centre.

I'm coming at this from the angle of what the OP was asking - all about 'prestige'. By the common understanding of that work (in TSRland), then Lancaster could never be considered 'prestige'

However, I totally agree with you about the management school - like so many 'non-prestigious' unis, they often have departments or subjects in which they excel.
Original post by xxx0xxxo
It always astounds me that Loughborough has such a good reputation yet Loughborough as a town remains so horrendous and unkempt, despite a couple of random cinema complexes that have been added and do nothing to improve actual town centre.

Such a good reputation to whom? It is a second rank university.
Original post by StarLinyx
Such a good reputation to whom? It is a second rank university.

Yes but as a town it's still more known for its uni than anything else. I always hear people refer to it alongside Nottingham uni when considering studying in the midlands, especially for engineering or sports science.
Yes but as a town it's still more known for its uni than anything else. I always hear people refer to it alongside Nottingham uni when considering studying in the midlands, especially for engineering or sports science.

It is very good in certain subjects, but on the whole it isn't seen as being on the same level as the Russell Group universities and several others (St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster, Aberdeen).
It is very good in certain subjects, but on the whole it isn't seen as being on the same level as the Russell Group universities and several others (St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster, Aberdeen).

No i didn't think it was, but regardless the state of the town is quite miserable given the success the uni does have
No i didn't think it was, but regardless the state of the town is quite miserable given the success the uni does have

Like many other towns in the UK also.
LMFAOAOA

okay bro I need your honest opinion. Which ones of these are prestigious?

1. Bristol
3. Southampton
5.Leeds?
6. Southampton?
7. Bristol?
8. Nottingham?
9. Bath?( Not Russel group)
10. Sheffield?
11. Liverpool?
KCL?

Were Bristol & Southampton so good you named them twice? The best of this lot imo are Bristol, Southampton, Leeds, Notts, Sheffield and Bath. And Kings for certain things like Law.
Oh which ones have a reputable uni and still look like crap?

Bangor and Leicester, though they are cities.
Bangor and Leicester, though they are cities.

Ok so it is not the same.
Original post by harrysbar
Were Bristol & Southampton so good you named them twice? The best of this lot imo are Bristol, Southampton, Leeds, Notts, Sheffield and Bath. And Kings for certain things like Law.

lmfao oops
thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending