The Student Room Group

PhD in Open University

Hello,

I was accepted to a funded full-time PhD program in Open University. I'm an international student, and intend to stay in London through my studies.

I was wondering what are your experiences on doing a PhD in the Open? Does a PhD from Open would be equally respected as let's say Nottingham, Exeter, York etc.?
Up - I need answers as I have to answer their offer until tomorrow.
Depends on topic etc but generally Russell groups like Exeter hold more weight and would be better regarded
Original post by LearningDragon
Depends on topic etc but generally Russell groups like Exeter hold more weight and would be better regarded

Thanks. So it would not really have a difference compared to the non-Russel but rather prestigable universities?
Original post by Perasperadastra
Thanks. So it would not really have a difference compared to the non-Russel but rather prestigable universities?

A funded PhD holds prestige in itself. After that, what matters is your Supervisor, not the university. If your Supervisor has a strong reputation in their field, that counts more than the university. But the main this is funding, that tops anything else.
Original post by threeportdrift
A funded PhD holds prestige in itself. After that, what matters is your Supervisor, not the university. If your Supervisor has a strong reputation in their field, that counts more than the university. But the main this is funding, that tops anything else.

Thanks. After all, I accepted their offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending