The Student Room Group

Transferring uni

I’m really torn about transferring unis or even dropping out, it hasn’t even been a month and I know people say you will find your friends later on but I feel so lonely as I see my other friends who go to more sociable unis already have a solid group of friends in their flatmates or course. I’m also second guessing my course as I hate the reading that comes with history and it hasn’t even come to assessments yet. I feel really lost and have gone into a cycle where demotivation and depression is hindering me from properly starting to do uni work and feeling like I missed out on freshers and wasting time and money on a uni which has better prestige but the social life severely lacking. Idk what I should do and feel lost and honestly should have taken a gap year to sort myself out before uni.
Reply 1
To be honest nowadays prestige of university isn't so highly regarded as it used to be. Unless your field is exceptionally competitive. If you're not interested in reading at this stage perhaps history isn't the right subject for you. Did you take it at a level is it not as you expected?

Try to join societies or go to socials etc. My uni is doing a start of term ball on a boat on the Thames. There may be student nights in local bars etc if you don't have a student bar.

I think it's normal to feel overwhelmed or like you made the wrong decision the first few weeks of uni. Its a big change and a huge commitment. Think about why you chose history what you want out of it etc. My degree involves a lot of research and reading about history and culture. But I find the topic interesting enough that I stay engaged and tend to read more than the set list etc.

If you changed uni you'd still have reading to do. If you stay you have your social issue. If you take a year out you may never go back. Weigh up your options and decide what is best for you. I didn't end up going to uni until I was 26 I now work full time and study part time. We often make 18 year old make sudden decisions because its the done thing to go to uni. Well yeah it's great but it's not the be all and end all. You can still be successful in life without a degree. If I were to take a position off the back of my degree, when I've completed it, I'd be taking a pay cut.

Be kind to yourself and allow yourself the time to find what's best for you.
Drop out and take time to consider what you want to study at uni and what kind of uni you want to attend.
Financially it’s generally better to wait until Christmas before dropping out (that means no overpayment on your maintenance loan, easier to find replacement tenants for accommodation etc). It’s also better to suspend your studies instead of withdrawing - that leaves the option open to return to your current course if you want to later.

Have you spoken to your university counselling services and your GP about how you’re feeling? If you’re depressed then it’s possible that is interfering with your assessment of the situation and your options.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I’m really torn about transferring unis or even dropping out, it hasn’t even been a month and I know people say you will find your friends later on but I feel so lonely as I see my other friends who go to more sociable unis already have a solid group of friends in their flatmates or course. I’m also second guessing my course as I hate the reading that comes with history and it hasn’t even come to assessments yet. I feel really lost and have gone into a cycle where demotivation and depression is hindering me from properly starting to do uni work and feeling like I missed out on freshers and wasting time and money on a uni which has better prestige but the social life severely lacking. Idk what I should do and feel lost and honestly should have taken a gap year to sort myself out before uni.

im feeling the same way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending