The Student Room Group

how do I get over my university regret and obsessions with rankings?

Hi all so I went to bristol and am deeply insecure about how good it is, since entering the working world it seems its not held in high regard, many people just think of it for drugs, partying and do not respect it as a place to study despite me choosing it for what i thought was an excellent reputation generally, for my course its vvv well regarded but the general reputaiton seems to be bad. Ive had people from KCL, exeter and Birmingham look down on me when I though Bristol was on par with KCL and better than exeter/Birmingham. People say edinburgh is prestigeous but not bristol and i thought they were the same. It doesnt help that my career has not gone to plan and i am working at a mediocre grade in the civil service and i cannot help but think its because people dont respect my uni. It make me sad as i got AAA at alevel and ot be honest i found my course really challenging so just feels like ive wasted my potential and hard work, should i do a masters? should i look into therapy as it makes me depresed, i feel like i had so much potential and now im rubbish.
Hello,

Firstly, you should be so proud of how far you have come. Graduating from university is not an easy task to undertake, so congratulations to you. Do not mind what others are saying, this tends to happen in universities, and It doesn't have to define you. Know that you worked hard for your degree, and I am sure there are jobs out there who are willing to take you on for your hard work and talent. Do not give up yet, there is so much more coming.

All the best,
Hassa, Liverpool Hope University, Student Ambassador
Reply 2
I never understand this at all. It's simple a decision to stop caring. Make the decision.

Anyone 'looking down' on anyone else like this is an insecure nobhead and they only have power over you because you inexplicably buy into their backwards thinking.

Your university is 100% not responsible for your working life in the civil service.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
This is self-defeating thinking. If you carry this with you, you will always be comparing yourself to others and leaving yourself vulnerable to perceived slights. If you can't sort this out yourself, I would recommend paying for a short course of CBT (online or face to face) which will help you focus on challenging your thinking.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all so I went to bristol and am deeply insecure about how good it is, since entering the working world it seems its not held in high regard, many people just think of it for drugs, partying and do not respect it as a place to study despite me choosing it for what i thought was an excellent reputation generally, for my course its vvv well regarded but the general reputaiton seems to be bad. Ive had people from KCL, exeter and Birmingham look down on me when I though Bristol was on par with KCL and better than exeter/Birmingham. People say edinburgh is prestigeous but not bristol and i thought they were the same. It doesnt help that my career has not gone to plan and i am working at a mediocre grade in the civil service and i cannot help but think its because people dont respect my uni. It make me sad as i got AAA at alevel and ot be honest i found my course really challenging so just feels like ive wasted my potential and hard work, should i do a masters? should i look into therapy as it makes me depresed, i feel like i had so much potential and now im rubbish.
What would you like to happen next in your career and how is life outside your job?
The idea that Exeter is better academically than Bristol in almost any subject area is laughable by itself, and just goes to show how meaningless this kind of **** measuring is anyway.

Sorry you went to one of the best unis in the country and have a chip on your shoulder about it. It's your chip on your shoulder though and not anyone else's so you need to sort it out for yourself.
Reply 6
This is more about where you are in your career and your dissatisfaction with how that has turned out then it is to do with your uni? It maybe time to take a good long look at where you are and where you'd like to be and then to see what steps you can take to maximize your chances of attaining your career goals. Perhaps in so doing, you'll come to the conclusion you need a specific masters. A bit of introspection and self examination coupled with some external help (e.g. a more senior colleague whom you trust to give you good advice) and it maybe that you'll come to realize it's not where you went to uni that defines where you are at present.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
What you are talking about is an e-peen thing. Like my car's better than yours, my dad earns more than yours. It's what people who are insecure do to try to establish a mental hold over others....and it sounds like it's working. This is not primary school now! You need to stand up for yourself and realise that Bristol Uni has overtaken the other 3 in year recent years and is much in demand as is shown by their higher entry requirements.

When you look at prestigious universities there are really only a handful in the UK and employers very rarely look at prestige. They are more interested in your academic accomplishments and what sort of person you are. If you have a degree then you should at least have gone in as a HEO as the minimum grade in the Civil Service. If you are not at HEO or above then you should be applying for other jobs that befit obtaining a degree.

A Masters won't help you but standng up for yourself might.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
What would you like to happen next in your career and how is life outside your job?
I studied law so always expected a big law job with a high salary but discovered i didnt like law but sitll mamanged to get a 2.1 now just not sure how i can get a high paying respectful career
Reply 9
Original post by nutz99
What you are talking about is an e-peen thing. Like my car's better than yours, my dad earns more than yours. It's what people who are insecure do to try to establish a mental hold over others....and it sounds like it's working. This is not primary school now! You need to stand up for yourself and realise that Bristol Uni has overtaken the other 3 in year recent years and is much in demand as is shown by their higher entry requirements.

When you look at prestigious universities there are really only a handful in the UK and employers very rarely look at prestige. They are more interested in your academic accomplishments and what sort of person you are. If you have a degree then you should at least have gone in as a HEO as the minimum grade in the Civil Service. If you are not at HEO or above then you should be applying for other jobs that befit obtaining a degree.

A Masters won't help you but standng up for yourself might.
i am an HEO but youre right i just am not a confrontational person and I thought it was always excepted that bristol was a top uni, i chose it for ranking and fun.
Reply 10
Bristol is, in point of fact, an excellent institution. This is all in your mind.
In general no employer gives a ****. Choosing an institution based on rankings is dumb, they change every year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending