The Student Room Group

Law graduates help

HI IVE JUST GRADUATED FROM LAW BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE AND WHAT CAREER TO TAKE. ITS HAVING SUCH AN TOLL ON MY MENTAL HEALTH😭😭 PLEASE CAN ANYONE WHOS BEEN IN THE SAME POSITION MESSAGE ME WITH HOW THEY WENT ABOUT ESTABLISHING A CAREER AFTER HAVING NO IDEA WHAT THEY WANTED TO DO AFTER UNI I APPRECIATE IT THANKS.

PS IM WORKING IN RETAIL ATM SO I HAVE SOME INCOME BUT I REALLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO

I’m considering teacher training, admin and the law sector but how can I make a definite decision?! It’s hard to gain unpaid experience these days so any advice is appreciated.
Hi. I’ve just finished my masters in law so I’m hoping I can help.

I’ve also been struggling because I have got a TC yet etc.

What I would suggest is seeing if you can speak to a career advisor (aspiring solicitors, corporate law academy, etc.) or, failing that, think about your strengths and what you want from a job.

Do you want to work with kids? Did you do well in your law degree? Did you want to be a solicitor or barrister? What sort of law sector did you want to go into: criminal, corporate, family, public, etc.?

I would maybe use a website like Prospect jobs and take a quiz which might help you think about what is important to you. I would also really research the different options in depth and understand what they mean.

For example (as I’m sure you know) for law you’re either going to have to do the LPC or BCTP (or SQE) - do you want to do further study? For teacher training you’ll need to do your QTS etc.

Maybe make a pros and cons list?

It is very tricky to gain experience, I agree. It’s frustrating. Maybe use something like LinkedIn etc and ask people to tell you about their experiences in different sectors, etc?

Don’t feel like you need to rush into anything. Also, if you pick a path and decide it’s not for you - that’s okay! All experience is good experience.

Hope this helps slightly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending