The Student Room Group

Will Universities still accept me if I am 1 UCAS point below?

My current predicted grades are AAB and I have 7 ucas points from a course I took over the summer. I would like to apply to a few Russell group universities that have AAA which is 144 and I have 143, will this make them less likely to reject me or make no difference?
I'm afraid that universities have somewhat moved past the UCAS points system. If they ask AAA at A Level, that's what they want. If I were you, I'd try speaking with your teachers to change your predicted grades. You can usually strike some sort of deal with them to do well in exams or do extra work or something among those lines. And you have time to prove you're improving, as the deadline for UCAS applications is on January. Good luck!
Original post by Chatterboxxxx
My current predicted grades are AAB and I have 7 ucas points from a course I took over the summer. I would like to apply to a few Russell group universities that have AAA which is 144 and I have 143, will this make them less likely to reject me or make no difference?

If you're predicted AAB then you absolutely should apply to 2 or 3 choices that normally ask for AAA.
Your extra qualification isn't likely to make any difference to your chances of an offer (unless it's relevant to your chosen degree subject) but it might be used next August if you have an AAA offer and get AAB and they're trying to decide which applicants to accept with lower grades.
Reply 3
Hi - if you could advise which course and which universities people may be able to give educated guesses as to how firm the AAA requirements are. Pretty much all RG universities will be looking for 3 a levels or equivalent but some courses have more flexibility on results day than others.
Reply 4
What 'course' is giving you 7 UCAS points?

(And as above, top UK Unis dont 'do' UCAS points and those that do make points offers will only accept random extra points from any other 'qualification' if its related to the course/subject you are applying for - ie. LAMDA exams for performing arts subjects etc)
Reply 5
I’m planning on doing Cyber Security, the course that I took was the CyberFirst advances course which is certified by GCHQ (the same people that certified the AAA degree at Warwick that I want to apply for)
Warwick only make offers as letter grades, they don’t consider tariff points.

(Which is not to say that you shouldn’t apply, PQ’s advice above is rock solid as always.)
(edited 7 months ago)
I’m planning on doing Cyber Security, the course that I took was the CyberFirst advances course which is certified by GCHQ (the same people that certified the AAA degree at Warwick that I want to apply for)

That's interesting. According to the link below, cyberfirst courses don't get UCAS points...

https://www.smallpeicetrust.org.uk/cyberfirst-faq#:~:text=Do%20these%20events%20offer%20UCAS,in%20the%20list%20of%20courses.
Reply 8
Immaterial of the "7 UCAS points" thing, doing an extracurricular course in a practical subject related to your degree will enhance your chances of getting an OFFER from a uni that wants higher grades than you are predicted. But an offer is just an offer. On results day, if you still only get AAB, they MIGHT still let you in but that depends on all sorts of factors like what grades everyone else is getting next year, how selective the uni in question is, etc. So you need to consider the scenario where you don't get in and make sure you have a realistic insurance choice that you will be happy with, or you'll be scrabbling around looking for something in Clearing.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
That's interesting. According to the link below, cyberfirst courses don't get UCAS points...

https://www.smallpeicetrust.org.uk/cyberfirst-faq#:~:text=Do%20these%20events%20offer%20UCAS,in%20the%20list%20of%20courses.

The cyberfirst advanced course is a level 6 SCQF qualification which awards you 7 UCAS points and it is on the UCAS point calculator

The key points to take away here from the above excellent remarks:

a) Not all universities use the UCAS Tariff, and many offering courses of AAA or similar grade requirements in fact do not

b) It's perfectly reasonable to have a couple of "aspirational" choices a grade above your predicted grades usually if you're sensible about that they are

c) Not all courses with a UCAS Tariff point value will be accepted by all universities, you need to check individual university requirements

An additional point not noted above worth considering is what subject your B grade is in, as that can make more of a difference for "aspirational" choices. If you're predicted a B in an unrelated subject they may be happy to make you the standard offer and see if you can stretch to achieve that. However if you're predicted a B in a required or very relevant subject, that may instead make them question if you will be able to succeed on the programme.
Original post by artful_lounger
The key points to take away here from the above excellent remarks:

a) Not all universities use the UCAS Tariff, and many offering courses of AAA or similar grade requirements in fact do not

b) It's perfectly reasonable to have a couple of "aspirational" choices a grade above your predicted grades usually if you're sensible about that they are

c) Not all courses with a UCAS Tariff point value will be accepted by all universities, you need to check individual university requirements

An additional point not noted above worth considering is what subject your B grade is in, as that can make more of a difference for "aspirational" choices. If you're predicted a B in an unrelated subject they may be happy to make you the standard offer and see if you can stretch to achieve that. However if you're predicted a B in a required or very relevant subject, that may instead make them question if you will be able to succeed on the programme.

my current predicted grades are an A in comp sci A in maths and a B in physics, i am working to get my A to an A* in computer science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending