The Student Room Group

A level art A* Sketchbook

I've finished year 12 and going into year 13 in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tips to get an A* at A level. In year 12, I got an A and to stretch that extra bit forward I need something more to get an A*. If anyone knows what else I could add to my sketchbook that would be great. Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi
I got an A* in both my Art and Graphic design A level courses.
The most important thing is to check that you have met all of the criteria…you might need to go over this with your teacher.
You need to do a lot of research into many artists and do more than one sketchbook if possible.
I completed 3xA3 sketchbooks for my Graphics and 4xA3 sketchbooks for my Art as well as producing multiple larger pieces outside of the sketchbook.
The presentation / exhibition was also part of the grade, but this varies for which board is governing your exam. I did mine through Pearson’s Edexcel.
There was also an essay to submit…it’s possible to lose marks at any point along the way.
Overall I would say it’s really important to show your influences, explain your process with lots of annotations and descriptions and to experiment as much as possible (using various mediums, techniques and styles).
Reply 2
Original post by IDK.345
I've finished year 12 and going into year 13 in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tips to get an A* at A level. In year 12, I got an A and to stretch that extra bit forward I need something more to get an A*. If anyone knows what else I could add to my sketchbook that would be great. Thanks!

Remember that progression is a big part of what they want to see. Don't be too precious of your sketchbook and worry about only putting 'good' work in there. Make sure each section shows initial ideas, research and influence, experimentation and then more considered sketches.
Reply 3
Original post by AnAlexxx
Hi
I got an A* in both my Art and Graphic design A level courses.
The most important thing is to check that you have met all of the criteria…you might need to go over this with your teacher.
You need to do a lot of research into many artists and do more than one sketchbook if possible.
I completed 3xA3 sketchbooks for my Graphics and 4xA3 sketchbooks for my Art as well as producing multiple larger pieces outside of the sketchbook.
The presentation / exhibition was also part of the grade, but this varies for which board is governing your exam. I did mine through Pearson’s Edexcel.
There was also an essay to submit…it’s possible to lose marks at any point along the way.
Overall I would say it’s really important to show your influences, explain your process with lots of annotations and descriptions and to experiment as much as possible (using various mediums, techniques and styles).

Thanks for responding ! Could you give more insight into the essay ?
Reply 4
Original post by 2500_2
Remember that progression is a big part of what they want to see. Don't be too precious of your sketchbook and worry about only putting 'good' work in there. Make sure each section shows initial ideas, research and influence, experimentation and then more considered sketches.

Thanks for responding ! At AS I did attempt this and I got an A. I want to be able to master this skill for A Level hopefully.
Reply 5
Original post by IDK.345
Thanks for responding ! Could you give more insight into the essay ?

The essay is similar in approach to the artist research that you do throughout the gcse and A level course, but it’s more extensive. Choose a subject that interests you or an extended aspect of something you’ve been working on. Read up on the subject from various sources and do a lot of research, both visual and written. I found Pinterest very helpful as I could find a variety of articles and lots of visual references too. I also found several films to watch which were especially helpful for me working on my final graphics project, which you might also be able to do as part of your research. I got several books from Amazon on my topic too. You can take quoted sections from your reading matter which helps to bulk up the word count, but you need to show that it’s quoted and also list it’s source.
Break the essay into sections…introduction, various chapters, conclusion…and include photos where relevant. You can also include contents page, list of quotes and a bibliography.
Don’t be put off by the length of the essay. It will probably be the longest thing you would have written at that time, but you don’t need to write it all in one go. Pace yourself and do a bit whenever you have time.
It also helps to write a rough plan before you start to give yourself a structure to work through.
Reply 6
Original post by 2500_2

Yes I agree, showing progress and development is very necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest