The Student Room Group

Filmmaking portfolio?

Can anyone give me some advice on the level of work a film portfolio should be?

I want to apply to UWE, maybe Manchester met and some other unis that require a portfolio but I do not have anything at the moment. (well a crappy film I made last year over lockdown for school, could've been better if we weren't in lockdown) I have ideas but I'm not sure how good they have to be and how many I should make?

Please help!!
You don’t have to make a full film to include it in your portfolio.

You could do some basic outlines of ideas, develop some into a treatment (see https://screencraft.org/2019/10/14/21-movie-treatments-and-outlines-that-every-screenwriter-should-read ), maybe script up a scene or two or storyboard them (you can do this with drawings, stickmen or use lego/playmobile people as “actors” and take some photos with your phone of them to build a storyboard for a scene).

Your showreel of footage should be under 2-3 minutes so you’re going for quality not quantity.

The key thing is to just give things a go - document your thought processes and plans and learn from making/doing. That will give you quite a lot of options for things to include.
Original post by lucyythom
Can anyone give me some advice on the level of work a film portfolio should be?

I want to apply to UWE, maybe Manchester met and some other unis that require a portfolio but I do not have anything at the moment. (well a crappy film I made last year over lockdown for school, could've been better if we weren't in lockdown) I have ideas but I'm not sure how good they have to be and how many I should make?

Please help!!

Hi @lucyythom

Every university should have its own guidelines on what is expected in a portfolio. You can find our portfolio guidelines for BA(Hons) Filmmaking here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/digitalportfolio/ba-filmmaking if you decide to apply for the course with us, you will be sent further information on the portfolio once we have received your application.

I hope this helps!
Carly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending