The Student Room Group

Anxiety about my new job

So I've just started a new job, but my anxiety is through the roof. I have my first full shift tomorrow and I'm so scared I feel ill everytime I think about it. I hate being the new person especially when you don't know what you're doing and have to learn as you go. I'm stressing about what eople think of me, knowing they're watching or judging me makes me not want to go back. I want to cry at the thought of walking back through the doors and working with people I don't know for 8+ hours straight. It's going to be awkward and quiet,and it's probably going to feel like a super long shift because of how uncomfortable I'm going to feel. How can I calm myself down before tomorrow? I really want to quit
Original post by Sheneedshelp
So I've just started a new job, but my anxiety is through the roof. I have my first full shift tomorrow and I'm so scared I feel ill everytime I think about it. I hate being the new person especially when you don't know what you're doing and have to learn as you go. I'm stressing about what eople think of me, knowing they're watching or judging me makes me not want to go back. I want to cry at the thought of walking back through the doors and working with people I don't know for 8+ hours straight. It's going to be awkward and quiet,and it's probably going to feel like a super long shift because of how uncomfortable I'm going to feel. How can I calm myself down before tomorrow? I really want to quit

Hello!

My advice to you would be to stay calm and collected (might seem easier said than done). However, it is normal that you may be over-thinking every last detail, but try not to let this affect your mood and work ethos on your first day. Be yourself, enjoy the day & you will pick up everything as you go along!

One thing I do when I start a new job is take a notebook - speak to a colleague, get tips, write down processes/procedures so you can start to familiairse yourself with these.

Before you start your shift, go for a coffee, read a book, listen to music - do activities to settle your nerves and to be your best self.

Hope this helps you :smile:

Dylan

Quick Reply

Latest