The Student Room Group

College course doubts

I don't know if I've taken the right courses. I've done about 2 weeks of college now and am loving psychology, so that's good. But literature feels like a lot of work and I'm not sure if it's the right fit for me because of the texts we read and the poetry. Criminology I thought I'd love but I did a lot of crime studies in secondary school during a Theme in my R.S subject where we did religious attitudes to crime. It feels easy and slow, like what we do in 3 lessons could be done in 30 minutes. The deadline to change courses is in about 3 weeks and I'm scared if I give the courses too much of a chance i still hate them and then be stuck doing them. Some days I'm like yes they're great and some I'm like I want to change now. I'm really struggling and it's affecting my motivation and stress levels. Any advice would be so appreciated, thanks.
You have 3 weeks, still a ton of time left before you can change so don't stress. Stress will destroy you in A Level, so always be calm and organised.

First of all, you should look into universities as well as their courses and see what you would like doing. You want to create a lot of options for yourself when it comes to university.

Secondly you should look into the specification of each subject and see what you would enjoy doing, but remember no A Level is a walk in a park, you will have times where you think wtf am I doing in this class and in other times you'll have the time of your life breezing through the content, this is normal.

Teachers always teach at a speed in which the whole class can cope, if you do your own work outside class you can get through the whole two years of content briefly in the first year and you can use the second year solidifying your knowledge and exam technique.

However the most important thing to do is to look at university courses and see what your future will look like, it ultimately depends on what you enjoy doing as well as your goal in life.

Any other questions don't hesitate, I've been through it all!!
Reply 2
Original post by Emma282
I don't know if I've taken the right courses. I've done about 2 weeks of college now and am loving psychology, so that's good. But literature feels like a lot of work and I'm not sure if it's the right fit for me because of the texts we read and the poetry. Criminology I thought I'd love but I did a lot of crime studies in secondary school during a Theme in my R.S subject where we did religious attitudes to crime. It feels easy and slow, like what we do in 3 lessons could be done in 30 minutes. The deadline to change courses is in about 3 weeks and I'm scared if I give the courses too much of a chance i still hate them and then be stuck doing them. Some days I'm like yes they're great and some I'm like I want to change now. I'm really struggling and it's affecting my motivation and stress levels. Any advice would be so appreciated, thanks.

I've not got loads of experience on this apart from I wasn't a massive fan of politics when I first started taking it and was hugely considering switching to sociology. I didn't end up switching and I reckon I would have preferred it.

I'm not sure what advice to give you apart from maybe talk to your teachers if you feel comfortable. You could ask them what the rest of the course is like and tell them what you're worried about. Hopefully, they could advise you on whether the course is right for you?

If you really feel strongly against a subject then maybe it just isn't for you and you should change. You could look into other courses that you're thinking of switching to, maybe try talking to those subject teachers or find someone else doing those courses and ask them how they're finding it.
I hope you end up doing subjects you enjoy, I came around a little to politics after a year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest