The Student Room Group

Idk what a levels to pick

I'm currently in yr 11 and had my heart set on doing astronomy at uni. Therefore I was thinking about choosing maths and physics at a level. But yesterday I had an open evening with the sixth form at my school at criminology and psychology really caught my attention. Now I don't know what to choose between those 4 subjects. There's no way I'm doing 4 at a level so I have to drop one but idk what. Any help plz?
Original post by _Robyn_
I'm currently in yr 11 and had my heart set on doing astronomy at uni. Therefore I was thinking about choosing maths and physics at a level. But yesterday I had an open evening with the sixth form at my school at criminology and psychology really caught my attention. Now I don't know what to choose between those 4 subjects. There's no way I'm doing 4 at a level so I have to drop one but idk what. Any help plz?

Usually sixth forms let you do 4 in the first year and drop one before you start year 13
Don't do the WJEC Diploma in Criminology.

Its not an A level nor is is 'equivalent to an A level' and many Unis will not accept it as they dont consider it 'academic' enough. Its full of True Crime nonsense and limited on theory. It might sound glamorous but it isnt going to turn to into a 'Criminologist' or a 'Forensic Psychologist'. If you do A level Sociology it will actually cover this area as part if the course and has some credibility.

Do 3 A levels.
This will leave far more future doors open to you.
Reply 3
You could do maths physics and psychology
If you want to do astronomy, you have to do physics.

Maths will be preferred at uni too, but not required. However, I think you will need maths because i did physics at alevel and you do a lot of maths, especially in the astronomy topic. The few people in my class who didn’t do maths really struggled because they couldn’t get their heads around the maths that were involved in the calculations

You don’t need psychology or criminology for astronomy. My third a level was psychology (the other two were maths & physics ofcourse). I had picked psychology because I was told it was ‘easy’, but it really isn’t that easy. The content itself in psychology is easy, but remembering EVERYTHING is soo hard. There is sooo much to remember, from case studies to names to procedures to results etc.

I don’t know anything about criminology.
Original post by _Robyn_

I have no idea if this is helpful but I think the best a levels u could do is math physics psych, criminology is really interesting but unless you are sure u definitely want to go to that path then go ahead and take 4. Taking psychology by itself can also help you get in criminal psychology but I’m pretty sure that is a bit off from ur interests and it’s that it requires sociology with it too for some universities.
(edited 2 years ago)
honestly further math will be more useful for astronomy than either psychology or criminology

Quick Reply

Latest