The Student Room Group

pharmacy vs pharmacology…?

so for a while now i’ve been interested in the idea of pharmacy or pharmacology but i’m so confused! i would like to do pharmacy because i give people advice and explain how medications work and i find a pharmacy degree really interesting and one area i really like is industrial pharmacy, but i also have an interest in pharmacology. one thing that really stood out to me this year is i would love to be in a job where i could look for different drugs to help cure some really horrible things, or even vaccines, and i think the whole covid pandemic really ignited my interest in that sort of stuff. i can’t really see myself doing anything else except for pharmacy or pharmacology. i’ve considered loads of other things - law, medicine, veterinary medicine, veterinary nursing, languages…. but nothing interests me as much as pharmacy and pharmacology do
Pharmacology will likely lead to lab based work, perhaps in academia or in the pharmaceutical industry after completing a PhD too.
Pharmacy will be more dealing with people, like working in a pharmacy shop, or in hospital, or a GP surgery as a practice pharmacist. This is the route to take if you want to interact with customers and patients.
If you prefer lab work, or don't like people (!) then pharmacology is the course to pick!
What if you don't want to work in the Lab? Any another alternative
Is it possible to switch from pharmacology to pharmacy, if yes how possible is it?
Thanks
What if you don't want to work in the Lab? Any another alternative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending