The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Science extended degree

Hi I’m currently doing the science extended degree and for those who are interested in this degree, I will provide a description of the course.
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m currently doing the science extended degree and for those who are interested in this degree, I will provide a description of the course.
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.

What's an extended degree?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

It’s a foundation year that allows you to progress on to optometry or pharmacy if you didn’t meet the grades initially, provided you achieve 70% overall, particularly 70% in maths and physics and chemistry. You can also do chemical engineering (65% is needed) or any other course in the school of applied science like forensics or biomed (many more) if you have an overall pass of 40%. You are guaranteed a place in other courses if you did not manage to get the % for the competitive courses (optometry and pharmacy). Hope this helps :smile:
It’s a foundation year that allows you to progress on to optometry or pharmacy if you didn’t meet the grades initially, provided you achieve 70% overall, particularly 70% in maths and physics and chemistry. You can also do chemical engineering (65% is needed) or any other course in the school of applied science like forensics or biomed (many more) if you have an overall pass of 40%. You are guaranteed a place in other courses if you did not manage to get the % for the competitive courses (optometry and pharmacy). Hope this helps :smile:

Sounds interesting, what pathway are you doing?
Sounds interesting, what pathway are you doing?

I am going for the competitive courses, which is what majority of people do.

Hi!

The Science Extended Degree at the University of Huddersfield is a course which looks at the four main disciplines of biology, chemistry, maths and physics. The course acts as a gateway to completing a degree in the following science subjects:

Biological Sciences
Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Forensic Science
Geography
Optometry
Pharmacy

The science extended degree provides you with the opportunity to get a grounding in the scientific knowledge you’ll need no matter which route you eventually decide to take.

You may want to visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree for more information :smile:

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
i heard you have to do a test for this course after applying. if so what does it inlcude?
Original post by Mdzz.24
i heard you have to do a test for this course after applying. if so what does it inlcude?

Hi, you only have to do the test if you did not do 2 science A levels. I did do the test and I received an email with a maths revision booklet attached. The questions itself were of 3 types: maths, logic and evaluation (more heavy on maths). There is a time limit to the test, I had around 40-50 minutes to do it and I had around 3 days. Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Hi, you only have to do the test if you did not do 2 science A levels. I did do the test and I received an email with a maths revision booklet attached. The questions itself were of 3 types: maths, logic and evaluation (more heavy on maths). There is a time limit to the test, I had around 40-50 minutes to do it and I had around 3 days. Hope this helps.

do you only get tested on maths and not science?
Original post by Mdzz.24
do you only get tested on maths and not science?

There may be maths questions that are related to science.
Reply 10

Hi i wanna get onto this course but i have to do an entry test but i font know what type of questions i should peprare for, help me plz?
Reply 11
how many times did you have to do this entry exam?
Reply 12

hi, how many times did you have to do this entry exam ?
Original post by mb6789
hi, how many times did you have to do this entry exam ?

Hi @mb6789

Your application for the SED will be considered and should you meet our entry criteria you may be invited to do an online interview and test.
You will be sent some revision material attached to an email confirming a date and time for you to complete this online and further information about the interview and test.
How you perform will determine if you are made an offer.
You may want to visit:
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree for more information!

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Hi, you know with this science extended degree are you eligible for these same courses at other unis or just Huddersfield?
Reply 15
Hi, you know with this science extended degree are you eligible for these same courses at other unis or just Huddersfield?

Yes u can enquire at other universities to do courses like pharmacy or optometry after you do the science extended degree and achieve 70%
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirem

Yes please we are interested to see books.

I've applied for Optometry at Huddersfield as my insurance choice but I am worried that I haven't met the requirements. Will they automatically offer me this course if I don't get the grades or will I have to apply through clearing?
Reply 18
Can I get a WhatsApp group link where I can interact with other students in this field?
hi do you know what type of questions came on the entry test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending