The Student Room Group

Best unis for politics

Currently I’m achieving AAB and hoping to get AAA in A levels. I also am eligible for a contextual offer at many unis as care experienced and live in a POLAR 4 Quintile 1 area. I am completely stuck on what university to go to and have looked at Bristol and sounds good but also I think a module in work experience would be beneficial. Can anyone suggest any universities? Thank you!!
Reply 1
I'm in a similar boat and I'm hoping to study Sociology and Politics at uni.
I'm currently looking at Cambridge (HSPS), Durham (Politics), York (SPS) and Warwick (Soc & Pol).
Warwick, Durham and York all offer contextual offers and are quite good for politics, for theses courses at York and Warwick after contextuals is BBB. Durham is really good for contextual offers because they'll give you a contextual offer for regular criteria and then give a second further reduced offer if you decide to firm! :smile:
Original post by EmSco
I'm in a similar boat and I'm hoping to study Sociology and Politics at uni.
I'm currently looking at Cambridge (HSPS), Durham (Politics), York (SPS) and Warwick (Soc & Pol).
Warwick, Durham and York all offer contextual offers and are quite good for politics, for theses courses at York and Warwick after contextuals is BBB. Durham is really good for contextual offers because they'll give you a contextual offer for regular criteria and then give a second further reduced offer if you decide to firm! :smile:

Hey! Sounds like we’ve applied to very similar unis. I also applied for HSPS at Cambridge, SPS at York, Politics and Sociology at Warwick. My other choices were Politics and Sociology at Bristol and Politics and Sociology with placement at Lancaster! Have you had any offers yet? Good luck with your application!
Reply 3
Original post by Rebeccarum
Currently I’m achieving AAB and hoping to get AAA in A levels. I also am eligible for a contextual offer at many unis as care experienced and live in a POLAR 4 Quintile 1 area. I am completely stuck on what university to go to and have looked at Bristol and sounds good but also I think a module in work experience would be beneficial. Can anyone suggest any universities? Thank you!!

Just out of curiosity what is POLAR 4 Quintile 1? Is it a geographical indicator of socio-economic status?

Hi @Rebeccarum
Have you considered applying to York?

I've recently completed my BA in Politics there and I loved it.

York offers a few Politics courses but I think you might be most interested in Politics with a year in industry, to get some work experience.

If you have any questions about the course or York in general feel free to get in touch.

Good luck and hope to see you on campus soon,
Bea

Hey!

Have you look at Reading at all?

I'm in my third year of studying Politics and IR here at Reading and I absolutely love it! Take a look at Reading's politics courses to find out more! All of my lecturers have been fantastic and really go the extra mile to help you out. I also love the campus - it really is beautiful!

Massive good luck with your A-Levels, it sounds like you are doing great! If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Daisy
3rd year politics and international relations student
Reply 6
Original post by Xchloem03X
Hey! Sounds like we’ve applied to very similar unis. I also applied for HSPS at Cambridge, SPS at York, Politics and Sociology at Warwick. My other choices were Politics and Sociology at Bristol and Politics and Sociology with placement at Lancaster! Have you had any offers yet? Good luck with your application!

I've only just seen this oops lol :smile: We'll probably run into each other! I've had a contextual conditional offer from York and a regular conditional from Lincoln! Have you had any offers? And which college have you applied to at Cambridge? :smile:
Original post by EmSco
I've only just seen this oops lol :smile: We'll probably run into each other! I've had a contextual conditional offer from York and a regular conditional from Lincoln! Have you had any offers? And which college have you applied to at Cambridge? :smile:

Hi @EmSco

Congratulations on receiving a conditional offer from Lincoln!!

If you have any questions about the University of Lincoln, Lincoln as a City or Student Life we will be more than happy to answer them.

You can come and visit us at our next in-person Open Day on Wednesday 8th December 1-5pm via this booking link here: Open Days

We also have a team of current students studying at the University who are more than happy to answer any questions you might have with regards to the University, City or even your application. You can chat to those students via our UniBuddy site here: Chat with Our Students

Wishing you all the best with your application!!

Megan
Y3 BA Education Student
Original post by EmSco

Ah amazing! I’ve applied to Jesus. I’ve had offers from York, Lancaster and Bristol + an invite to interview at Cambridge so far! Which college did you apply to?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Xchloem03X
Ah amazing! I’ve applied to Jesus. I’ve had offers from York, Lancaster and Bristol + an invite to interview at Cambridge so far! Which college did you apply to?

caius! Have you had an interview invite yet? 😬
Ah that looks like such a lovely college! I have had an invite but no date as yet. Don’t worry though - I read on the Cambridge Applicants chat that only around 10 colleges have issued invites so far I have a few friends who’ve applied to other colleges who also haven’t heard back yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending