The Student Room Group

can I defer GP training?

Hi everyone. im applying for GP training to start in August 2022.

However I'm thinking of applying for the ''deferred entry'' option so I can keep my options open of whether I want to take an F3 year (and consequently start in august 2023) or not.

I was under the impression this was allowed

However I read on the GP handbook the below line

''UK applicants can defer the start of their ST1 programme on statutory grounds such as
personal ill health or maternity/paternity/adoption leave ''

''Non-statutory deferment to the start of General Practice training is not permitted''

does that mean I cannot apply for deferred entry for GP? and if I apply this year, I will need to start august 2022?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone. im applying for GP training to start in August 2022.

However I'm thinking of applying for the ''deferred entry'' option so I can keep my options open of whether I want to take an F3 year (and consequently start in august 2023) or not.

I was under the impression this was allowed

However I read on the GP handbook the below line

''UK applicants can defer the start of their ST1 programme on statutory grounds such as
personal ill health or maternity/paternity/adoption leave ''

''Non-statutory deferment to the start of General Practice training is not permitted''

does that mean I cannot apply for deferred entry for GP? and if I apply this year, I will need to start august 2022?

Yeah my understanding is that deferred entry (except for the extenuating circumstances you've detailed) is no longer permitted.

I would do an FY3 and apply next year, GPST isn't going anywhere :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending