The Student Room Group

NHS bursary/grant.

I started uni in September 2023 and have become really unwell. I am thinking of asking to defer.
Can I ask. Will I need to pay back the NHS bursary.
Will I have to pay back my maintenance loan.
What Other options do I have. I started as a DSA student anyway.
My accommodation is costing me more than my maintenance loan,
Original post by TrixieVell
I started uni in September 2023 and have become really unwell. I am thinking of asking to defer.
Can I ask. Will I need to pay back the NHS bursary.
Will I have to pay back my maintenance loan.
What Other options do I have. I started as a DSA student anyway.
My accommodation is costing me more than my maintenance loan,

Are you referring to the NHS bursary or the training grant from NHS Learning Support Fund? Do you get your student finance through SFE?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Are you referring to the NHS bursary or the training grant from NHS Learning Support Fund? Do you get your student finance through SFE?

YES NHS Bursary and yes SFE
Reply 3
Original post by normaw

I think it is the £5000, training grant and SFE.
I don't want to defer, but I really don't see another option.
Is there any other financial help, I can apply for, as I don't even have money for Sanitary products.
I have now got a catheter due to reoccurring UTI's . I need to move to more appropriate accommodation, but need to finish paying for the accommodation that I am in before I can move to somewhere more appropriate.
I am really struggling at present also with my mental health due to my physical help. I have low level care and low level mobility.
Original post by TrixieVell
I think it is the £5000, training grant and SFE.
I don't want to defer, but I really don't see another option.
Is there any other financial help, I can apply for, as I don't even have money for Sanitary products.
I have now got a catheter due to reoccurring UTI's . I need to move to more appropriate accommodation, but need to finish paying for the accommodation that I am in before I can move to somewhere more appropriate.
I am really struggling at present also with my mental health due to my physical help. I have low level care and low level mobility.

Have you investigated if you are eligible for any bursaries at your uni or if you would be entitled to any hardship funds? Also contact your uni's student support/wellbeing service and speak to your tutor or course leader before you make any decisions.

What happens to your learning support fund and your maintenance loan payments (and whether you will have to repay anything) will differ depending if you suspend or withdraw, etc. For the training grant from the NHS LSF, read section 7 in the attached PDF. Then read through the advice on the following webpage:

https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/suspending-or-withdrawing-your-full-time-studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending