The Student Room Group

Doing medicine without biology in London?

Afternoon all,

So, I'm currently doing 4 A levels, all sciences plus maths, and I've decided I want to drop one. My goal is to do medicine at a good university in London but due to issues at school I might need to drop bio instead of physics.

So, could someone please give me a list of Russell group universities in the south of England that only require chemistry and another science for medicine rather than both biology and chemistry?

Thanks.
Original post by -心中
Afternoon all,

So, I'm currently doing 4 A levels, all sciences plus maths, and I've decided I want to drop one. My goal is to do medicine at a good university in London but due to issues at school I might need to drop bio instead of physics.

So, could someone please give me a list of Russell group universities in the south of England that only require chemistry and another science for medicine rather than both biology and chemistry?

Thanks.

Have you done your own research?

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

Whilst you're at it, could you tell us which ones are the "not good" universities and why the Russell Group matters for medicine? :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Have you done your own research?

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

Whilst you're at it, could you tell us which ones are the "not good" universities and why the Russell Group matters for medicine? :wink:

As for my research, came across Queen Mary, Oxford, Manchester, Leeds.

As for which ones are good or not, well I have no right not the knowledge to say. And regarding asking for Russel groups, well just out of curiosity.
Original post by -心中
As for my research, came across Queen Mary, Oxford, Manchester, Leeds.

As for which ones are good or not, well I have no right not the knowledge to say. And regarding asking for Russel groups, well just out of curiosity.

I think the only London medical school which would accept you without biology is Barts and The London.

Whilst Manchester and Leeds are good choices, just remember they are not in the south of England (as per your original post). Realistically, if you do not have biology you are going to have to be flexible about things like location.

My comment about good universities wasn't serious; all UK medical schools have to meet very high external standards so they are all excellent. The Russell group has no relevance when it comes to medical training, so I wouldn't worry about it :smile:

The most sensible thing would be to do your very best to carry on with biology. What exactly is the issue with your school? Do they know you want to do medicine?
Reply 4
Thanks for the answer. Yes, indeed I will have to consider moving around eventually. I'll keep that in mind and try to open up my choices. Cheers.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy

The most sensible thing would be to do your very best to carry on with biology. What exactly is the issue with your school? Do they know you want to do medicine?

Yeah, that's what I should be doing. Though I'd rather not delve into the specifics of my issues. Rather, I'll try and overcome them.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending