The Student Room Group

How similar is GCSE chemistry to A level?

I just wanted to know how similar they are to each other. In GCSE chem you have quite a few of those questions asking you to explain certain processes, stating uses for compounds, why compounds are used for their purposes etc.
From what I've seen, A level chem is mainly calculation based? I'm not really too sure
Thanks in advance!
A level Chemistry is bridged very well from GCSE so you probably wont notice a huge difference to begin with however I would say you need to be confident in your calculations as a large portion of the course has maths incorporated into it.
Original post by _kvymnnn
I just wanted to know how similar they are to each other. In GCSE chem you have quite a few of those questions asking you to explain certain processes, stating uses for compounds, why compounds are used for their purposes etc.
From what I've seen, A level chem is mainly calculation based? I'm not really too sure
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am in my final year of sixth form and am studying Chemistry. A level chemistry does share a few aspects with GCSE chemistry but as you probably know A level chemistry is very difficult ( but fun I promise) While yes there are a LOT of calculations you are still expected to know compounds and their uses. Organic chemistry especially has a lot of different compounds that do certain things. In general,l A level chemistry is just building upon your knowledge of GCSE while adding new information. Any extra questions feel free to ask!
Charlotte
Reply 3
Original post by charlotte25872
Hi, I am in my final year of sixth form and am studying Chemistry. A level chemistry does share a few aspects with GCSE chemistry but as you probably know A level chemistry is very difficult ( but fun I promise) While yes there are a LOT of calculations you are still expected to know compounds and their uses. Organic chemistry especially has a lot of different compounds that do certain things. In general,l A level chemistry is just building upon your knowledge of GCSE while adding new information. Any extra questions feel free to ask!
Charlotte

Original post by williamsf
A level Chemistry is bridged very well from GCSE so you probably wont notice a huge difference to begin with however I would say you need to be confident in your calculations as a large portion of the course has maths incorporated into it.

Thanks both of you, really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest