The Student Room Group

'Essay Mills' to be banned

Scroll to see replies

I think its for the best, particularly if you're studying STEM
Original post by Reality Check
It has been widely reported this morning that offering essay-writing services to students for a fee will become a criminal offence, as part of the Skills and Post-16 Education Bill.

According to the BBC, 'A 2018 survey suggested that 15.7% of recent graduates admitted to cheating, but Universities UK said that the use of essay mills by students was rare....The National Union of Students said: "These private companies prey on students' vulnerabilities and insecurities to make money through exploitation, and never more so than during the pandemic."'

Is this a good move? Will weak students who might be drawn to using essay mills just find another way of cheating with their assessments? Does the answer lie more in examining why so many students, according to the 2018 survey, seem to feel that academic cheating is acceptable, and to make this sort of academic malpractice as unacceptable as other forms of fraud?

@Evil Homer, @StrawberryDreams

well i'm sure essay mills will still try to exist - seriously, i have around 30 essay writer accounts trying to follow me on Instagram... and they seem work on private platforms like telegram, etc..
Its good, I hate fraudsters, that being said, there will always be oppurtunities if there is money involved.
But making it riskier/harder for students will persuade them not to use those services for sure.

I doubt the problem will go away completely, but will sure mitigate a lot would be my assumption.
Also as other comment stated, you don't want some graduate becoming a doctor knowing he basically paid his way to become one but doesn't have the actual knowledge in being one can be life-threatening quite literally.
I don't think it'll put them out of business... maybe it'll eliminate something that looks like a grey area and students who used to do mental gymnastics to convince themselves that 'if it was wrong then they'd have made it illegal' will think differently going forward?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
This is a good step, but probably won’t cease this practice completely.
I have heard that some students enter university with the intention to use essay mills because they don’t actually care for the degree or the associated job prospects etc. They enter university for the purpose of getting rich off the maintenance loan. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but since all manor of other types of fraud exists, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Well there were maintenance fraud schemes that had assignment milling packaged in operating in 2017...
https://agentbee.net/uk-education-agent-scandal/

But I'll just cheerfully assume that it's all been taken care of by now.
Original post by Joinedup
Well there were maintenance fraud schemes that had assignment milling packaged in operating in 2017...
https://agentbee.net/uk-education-agent-scandal/

But I'll just cheerfully assume that it's all been taken care of by now.

Well based off what I’ve heard, they’re still very much alive and well :s-smilie:
Stopping the essay mills which provided cheap essays is the right step.

Now how are they going to stop those with the financial means using personal "tutors" to essentially write their essays for them?
The problem is even a first class essay from an essay mill may not get a first class grade from university markers/lecturers who don't know their stuff and cannot tell the difference between an argument and fact. Why even work for it when at the end it's like the throwing of a dice. When these professors just throw their weight around according to how much they are paid.
"Criminal" seems a very strong line to take for something not really enforceable. I would have banned the advertising, but how do you criminalise someone giving out 'sample' essays? Are teachers not allowed to show samples of different grades from previous years? Even exam boards have sample essays on their websites!

Perhaps you could hone in on the 'selling' part and criminalise that, but what about paid tutors and fee-paying schools? This seems very easy for an essay mill to circumvent unless there's a crackdown on a whole load of other things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending