The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the dark shading on the Vista sidebar but still have it permanently at the side of the screen?
Reply 1381
Some of these backgrounds are amazing - especially the one with the huge ice-cream with the flake in it.
Reply 1382
Stick Man
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the dark shading on the Vista sidebar but still have it permanently at the side of the screen?

You can hide the sidebar itself while still having the gadgets running, if that's what you mean.

But to have the sidebar transparent but still 'there', I'm not sure how to do that. I think there might be third-party apps that allow you to change the sidebar skin though, possibly? That might do the trick....
olileauk
right, i changed my wallpaper already

Spoiler

Howd you get all those nicely designed side bar stuff?

Mine....

Spoiler

Indeed oli, where did you get the hard disk capacity gadgets, and the core/RAM usage and BBC Radio gadgets? Links? :smile:

cheers, but damn most of them really mess up my comp.
Cheers oli. Strange thing is that the hard disk one only works for one of my drives - any ideas what's going on? Perhaps it could be because my hard disk has two partitions (which have different drive letters) - it registers the C: partition fine, but not the D: partition...hmmm!
Angel Interceptor
Cheers oli. Strange thing is that the hard disk one only works for one of my drives - any ideas what's going on? Perhaps it could be because my hard disk has two partitions (which have different drive letters) - it registers the C: partition fine, but not the D: partition...hmmm!

well first you have to select which drives are shown. Also, a number of people have had a few issues, so you may find it just doesn't work.
Reply 1389
i bet ive got the coolest desktop! :wink: im using kworldclock which is a map of the world showing which parts are in daylight and those in nighttime. it updates itself every 5 minutes, very cool.

Mine, with wallpaper nicked from above (thanks to Manalishi) and transparent sidebar (thanks to AI for the suggestion of looking for a thrid-party app)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4346/desktopna2.gif
olileauk
well first you have to select which drives are shown. Also, a number of people have had a few issues, so you may find it just doesn't work.

It's working fine now; I realised that the problem was the partition not holding any data, which is a bug that meant that it didn't register.

Still, I'm not a huge fan of Windows SideBar - it seems like a clumsy solution for accessing information, since it constantly takes up some screen real estate for information that may not need to be accessed that frequently. I think that Dashboard/Konfabulator/Yahoo Widgets approach is a far more elegant solution - a simple keyboard press to access the information you want, and another to make it disappear - much more elegant.
i really like sidebar, mainly because it's one process and uses up far less RAM than Yahoo widgets, which i used to use. I agree that you should be able to press a button to hide it though, but i only use gadgets i find constantly useful.
WIN Key + Space

:smile:
I tend to have my sidebar at the side all the time anyway. Most of what I do doesn't need the full 1280px.
not doing anything for me.
Reply 1396
Here is my desktop - how creative.
Choad
hey i know that icon, you have gamemaker! 'spect

gamemaker :OP
i hope there is a society
Ooo get me, I use XP... for my main desktop, at least. Ubuntu on my laptop.

Reply 1399
Wth, redundant bump and a half.

Latest

Trending

Trending