The Student Room Group

Best Uni for environmental science???

I’m planning on applying to environmental science but I’m mostly applying via area not the ranking and I don’t know which ones are good?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by adidi
I’m planning on applying to environmental science but I’m mostly applying via area not the ranking and I don’t know which ones are good?

Hi @adidi,

Environmental science is a great course to study, have you thought about applying for the University of East Anglia (UEA)?

I studied Geography BSc at UEA for my undergraduate degree which is very similar to the environmental science course and I picked most of the same modules as my friend who was on the env sci course. I loved the course at UEA and how they have so many optional modules to choose from, especially in second and third year there was practically no compulsory modules so you can really tailor the course to fit your interests! You can read more about the environmental science course at UEA here.

You also mentioned that the area is important to you. UEA is situated about 3 miles out of the city of Norwich in the county of Norfolk. The UEA campus is set in 360 acres of land and has received a Green Flag Award. There is lots of green space around campus and a huge lake at the bottom that you can walk all the way around so it is a very peaceful setting. The city of Norwich is just a short 20 minute bus ride away which you can get right from the bus stop on campus. There are plenty of things to do in Norwich, from mini golf to bowling to shopping to eating at restaurants and cafes. UEA is also very close to some lovely beaches on the Norfolk Coast. Cromer is one of my favourite seaside towns and this is easily accessible by a direct 45 minute train from Norwich train station for under £10 for a return journey.

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight to the area around UEA, if you have anymore questions please fire away!

Lia
Marketing and Management MSc at UEA
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep: Lia
Hi @adidi,

Environmental science is a great course to study, have you thought about applying for the University of East Anglia (UEA)?

I studied Geography BSc at UEA for my undergraduate degree which is very similar to the environmental science course and I picked most of the same modules as my friend who was on the env sci course. I loved the course at UEA and how they have so many optional modules to choose from, especially in second and third year there was practically no compulsory modules so you can really tailor the course to fit your interests! You can read more about the environmental science course at UEA here.

You also mentioned that the area is important to you. UEA is situated about 3 miles out of the city of Norwich in the county of Norfolk. The UEA campus is set in 360 acres of land and has received a Green Flag Award. There is lots of green space around campus and a huge lake at the bottom that you can walk all the way around so it is a very peaceful setting. The city of Norwich is just a short 20 minute bus ride away which you can get right from the bus stop on campus. There are plenty of things to do in Norwich, from mini golf to bowling to shopping to eating at restaurants and cafes. UEA is also very close to some lovely beaches on the Norfolk Coast. Cromer is one of my favourite seaside towns and this is easily accessible by a direct 45 minute train from Norwich train station for under £10 for a return journey.

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight to the area around UEA, if you have anymore questions please fire away!

Lia
Marketing and Management MSc at UEA

Thanks, I’ll definitely have a look.
Do you know if environmental science course has a lot of essay assignments?
Original post by adidi
Thanks, I’ll definitely have a look.
Do you know if environmental science course has a lot of essay assignments?

The environmental science course is marked by a mix of coursework essays, projects and exams. In first year I would say it's quite an even mix with maybe a couple more essays than exams, but then in second and third year when you get to choose the majority of your modules, how you're marked depends on the modules you choose. Before you decide on your modules you can read about each one and the module description will tell you how it is assessed so you can kind of pick yourself how many essays you end up having, although I would say that overall, more modules are marked using coursework as opposed to exams.

I also thought I'd link a video I filmed last year about life in Norwich as a UEA student, which I thought you might find useful to see more of what the area is like! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcs7KazvTq4

Hope that information is useful,
Lia
Original post by adidi

Hey @adidi [br] [br] Reading University has a great Environmental science course. Ranked in the top 10 in the UK and the course is accredited by the Institute of Environmental Sciences. You could talk to Bethany who is currently studying Environmental Management, which is taught in the same school as environmental sciences.
Reading as a place to study is amazing. The campus is based in about 300acres of parkland, which includes a lake, meadows, the Harris Garden and an area affectionately termed the wilderness. It is a really gorgeous campus which I am sure you would appreciate.

There are some amazing clubs and societies which you could join, including a campaign to promote hedgehog suitable habitats on campus among many others. I personally really enjoy studying at Reading and really value the opportunities I have gained by being here.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Zoe
Third Year Biological Sciences and student ambassador
I’ll be going to Huddersfield they have smaller class sizes as the geography and envisci dept is smaller and new. Have a look at what field trips places offer and also if it is more biology or chemistry you want to do in the course. Most are biology based but some lean more towards chemistry. See what you prefer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending