The Student Room Group

help personal statement ucas

hi my problem is that i applied to two diff courses at one uni (environmental science & geography) ik they're quite similar i just am worried that since i submitted only one personal statement it'll get me rejected from both created courses
but i think it relates to both courses pretty well and it's written quite well imo - i also have decent grades to get in but i'm worried i'll get rejected ugh
can anyone tell me if it's true that if they're in two diff departments (earth science & geography dept) there's different admissions people reading them so they won't realise it's the same or if they do they won't mind that my personal statement says environmental science instead of geography for the env science course? tysm
I think it should be fine as long as you balanced your personal statement to physical and human if your geography course has human/mainly human modules. If not, environmental sciences and physical geography are very similar so you shouldn't have a problem there. I know in some unis the environmental science dept belongs to the geography one and there are a lot of physical geographer. You should check the uni you applied to see if they're from the same one or a different one
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by baguettecrunch
I think it should be fine as long as you balanced your personal statement to physical and human if your geography course has human/mainly human modules. If not, environmental sciences and physical geography are very similar so you shouldn't have a problem there. I know in some unis the environmental science dept belongs to the geography one and there are a lot of physical geographer. You should check the uni you applied to see if they're from the same one or a different one

i applied for physical geography.. i just wanted to ask if they're in two diff departments the same admissions officer wouldn't read them right? anyways tysmm
Original post by starrrrlight99
i applied for physical geography.. i just wanted to ask if they're in two diff departments the same admissions officer wouldn't read them right? anyways tysmm

I remember reading in an article somewhere depending on the uni they do centralised applications so general admissions officers reads most of them and in some they do it by department. If they're in diff departments the same one shouldn't read it but again depending on the uni. Best of luck!!
Original post by baguettecrunch
I remember reading in an article somewhere depending on the uni they do centralised applications so general admissions officers reads most of them and in some they do it by department. If they're in diff departments the same one shouldn't read it but again depending on the uni. Best of luck!!

thank youuu
hi my problem is that i applied to two diff courses at one uni (environmental science & geography) ik they're quite similar i just am worried that since i submitted only one personal statement it'll get me rejected from both created courses
but i think it relates to both courses pretty well and it's written quite well imo - i also have decent grades to get in but i'm worried i'll get rejected ugh
can anyone tell me if it's true that if they're in two diff departments (earth science & geography dept) there's different admissions people reading them so they won't realise it's the same or if they do they won't mind that my personal statement says environmental science instead of geography for the env science course? tysm

Hello!
Congratulations on submitting your application! I wouldn't worry about this too much, universities know people are applying for more than one course. I also was in your position applying for both degrees and only wrote one personal statement, and everything turned out okay! I know at Lancaster both degrees are in the same department and are therefore read by the same person and I'm sure it will be similar in most other universities!

Good Luck with your application!
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
Congratulations on submitting your application! I wouldn't worry about this too much, universities know people are applying for more than one course. I also was in your position applying for both degrees and only wrote one personal statement, and everything turned out okay! I know at Lancaster both degrees are in the same department and are therefore read by the same person and I'm sure it will be similar in most other universities!

Good Luck with your application!
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

thanks hehe

Hi @starrrrlight99 ,
I was in the same position when applying for uni, as I was unsure whether to study ES or geography. When i wrote my personal statement i wrote it focused on Geography, as this was the one i had a slight favor towards, but generally i wouldn't say it matters considering there quite similar degrees eg. both relating to the environment. I know at Lancaster there both in the same department, so would be read by the same person and i imagine other universities would be similar, but you can probably google which department there in at a specific university.
Hope your application is successful!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd year Physical Geography)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending