The Student Room Group

OCR Sociology a level

How do you structure a sociology 40 marker to get an A?(im doing one on crime and deviance)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Heya, I've consistently got 35+ in all the 40 markers I've done (OCR).This is structure i use:

A01 knowledge and understanding - 16
A02 application - 8
A03 analysis and evaluation - 16

Your for and against are equal weighting, so you need a balanced argument:
- intro,
- 4 paragraphs FOR
- 4 paragraphs AGAINST
- critical conclusion.

So go back and forth with FOR and AGAINST paragraphs, until you have 7/8 paragraphs. Remember quality over quantity. It is vital that you use DIRECT evaluation, and not generic or juxtaposition.

Example of direct evaluation -

Functionalists such as Durkheim argue minor crime and deviance is integral to a healthy and functioning society, which serves to maintain social order and the existing value consensus in society.

However, Marxists would argue that crime and deviance 'functions' purposefully in maintaining the social order of capitalism. By over-policing and selective law enforcement, crime disproportionately appears greater in the working class. This creates a culture of fear, blame-shifting and divisiveness amongst the working class. This helps to conceal their exploited position and capitalism in society.

Also don't forget analysis is really important to.

Hope that helps :biggrin: xx
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest