The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni of Southampton - Actuarial Science?

Hello,

My name is Neil and am very interested in the university of southampton. Wether it be the nightlife, the name, the university or the courses I love the uni and the city itself.

I have always had a strange cloe relationship with cities south in England for various reasons. All of this saying why I would like to join Southampton.

I am currently interested in studying Actuarial Science at Southampton and would like to ask a few questions about the course and what are my chances of getting into my course I desire.

Firstly what is the student life at Southampton like?

Is it something for me which likes clubs and does it have good ICT facilities as well as pitches for various sports?

Second is what is Actuarial science like at the Uni?

Is it overall hard compared to the other unis such as kent, LSE, Manchester and more.

finally with what I have could I get to Actuarial science?

GCSE

2A* 4A 4B

As level

Maths A
F maths A
ICT A
Chem A
History B

Ps:

Duke of ed gold
Cricket team
Work experience in bank
ICT website
Young enterprise

thanks

OH SORRY LAST QUESTION WHICH DEGREE IS BETTER ECONOMICS WITH AS OR MATHS WITH AC?

THANKS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't really think Actuarial Science is a proper degree tbh. You should go to uni because you want to work hard on a subject you enjoy, not a subject like Actuarial Science that you don't even need a degree in.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
listen i know fine rightly what actuarial science is. As I plan on being an acutary. Though I want to be an actuary, thought the problem is tht southampton offers two actuarial science degrees while the majority offer just actuarial science. I like numbers and maths nd the ecvonomy and solving problems for buisnesses and essentially actuarial science is that. So dont tell me off, Im only asking advice on which of the 2 courses is better for being ana actuary. thats all

plus actuarial science is a proper degree. its not a common one cinsidering only 10 MAX offer it in the uk.
Reply 3
nchada383
listen i know fine rightly what actuarial science is. As I plan on being an acutary. Though I want to be an actuary, thought the problem is tht southampton offers two actuarial science degrees while the majority offer just actuarial science. I like numbers and maths nd the ecvonomy and solving problems for buisnesses and essentially actuarial science is that. So dont tell me off, Im only asking advice on which of the 2 courses is better for being ana actuary. thats all

plus actuarial science is a proper degree. its not a common one cinsidering only 10 MAX offer it in the uk.

Ignore the stupid person above, she thinks she knows it all about university, and thinks she'll be going to university to study for a degree even though shes this close to being kicked out of college.
Reply 4
lol thanks m8.

was a bit worried when she said not being a degree
Your grades are excellent! You also have decent stuff to mention on your PS. Which subjects have you dropped for A2?
Reply 6
vidachick
I don't really think Actuarial Science is a proper degree tbh. You should go to uni because you want to work hard on a subject you enjoy, not a subject like Actuarial Science that you don't even need a degree in.

Says someone studying Childhood Studies?!
vidachick

You can't be serious. Actuarial Science is arguably the most respected and rigorous business-finance-mathematics course.

Not a subject like Actuarial Science that you don't even need a degree in

You absolutely MUST have a degree to work as an actuary. Ideally it should be in mathematics, BSc economics, physics/engineering or acturial science.
Reply 8
nchada383
Hello,

My name is Neil and am very interested in the university of southampton. Wether it be the nightlife, the name, the university or the courses I love the uni and the city itself.

I have always had a strange cloe relationship with cities south in England for various reasons. All of this saying why I would like to join Southampton.

I am currently interested in studying Actuarial Science at Southampton and would like to ask a few questions about the course and what are my chances of getting into my course I desire.

Firstly what is the student life at Southampton like?

Is it something for me which likes clubs and does it have good ICT facilities as well as pitches for various sports?

Second is what is Actuarial science like at the Uni?

Is it overall hard compared to the other unis such as kent, LSE, Manchester and more.

finally with what I have could I get to Actuarial science?

GCSE

2A* 4A 4B

As level

Maths A
F maths A
ICT A
Chem A
History B

Ps:

Duke of ed gold
Cricket team
Work experience in bank
ICT website
Young enterprise

thanks

OH SORRY LAST QUESTION WHICH DEGREE IS BETTER ECONOMICS WITH AS OR MATHS WITH AC?

THANKS

1. As for which is better, Economics and AS or Mathematics with AS, it really depends on what you want to study. University level mathematics is very different to A-Level, but at the same time, Economics and Mathematics are worlds apart at university level. In your case, Economics and AS would be AAB whereas Mathematics with AS would be ABB (since you're doing FMaths).

2. You should definitely get an offer for either. You've very good grades and a good set of things to include in your personal statement. All you need to do is make sure you continue the hard work at A2 and you should be set.

3. I would say the course at Soton is harder than that at Kent, though possibly on the same level with that at Manchester? The Manchester course is Mathematics and AS, and is new, though they have a very strong reputation for mathematics and mathematics related courses. As for LSE, will it's completely different since LSE is pure AS whereas Soton is Major/Minor (though does enable full exemption providing you do well enough).

4. It seems as if you really want to go to Southampton, so I'd say apply. It would only be one of your five choices, and you may as well give it a go since you claim to love the city, location, university, etc.
Reply 9
thanks for replying guys

means alot

cheers
I don't see why you shouldn't get an offer. Your A-levels are very good, GCSEs are good and you have many extra cirriculars.

With regard to which Actuarial Science course to do at Soton, it really depends. As someone has already mentioned, Maths at University level is very different - it is full of proofs and theorems and can be very wordy (I struggled quite a bit with Linear Algebra as an option unit I took). Economics at University level just gets more mathematical, and you can do some very statistical mathematical modules which at times you cannot actually relate with real life Economics.

If you're really that keen on become an Actuary, then the best way would be doing a pure Actuarial Science degree (though there are a few cases where firms prefer you not to join with full CT exemptions already as they believe learning whilst working is more efficient for them).

If you have any specific questions about Economics with Actuarial Science, then just post here as I'm currently second year.
Reply 11
vidachick

Actuarial Science is possibly one of the hardest subjects you can do. I do straight Maths but am doing a few actuarial modules. its blimming hard which is why actuaries are so highly paid.
Southampton has a really good actuarial society who are really active about getting companies in to give you talks and they open a lot of doors for you when it comes to making connections with actuarial companies.
Reply 12
vidachick

I ve NEVER heard such a stupid and dumb statement in my life . Dont reply poison to people if u know nothing . Who told you that Actuarial Science isnt a proper degree ?? Actually its the other way round and one of the most desirable degree around coz it involves many core finance subjects like financial math , economics , probability , statistics , computing and it opens up a lot of career doors if u re not sure about wat u want to do . So ,4 goodness sake , vidachick , pliz dont post lies coz u damage somebody who needs advice which is the whole point of this forum .
Reply 13
Mustard-man
I don't see why you shouldn't get an offer. Your A-levels are very good, GCSEs are good and you have many extra cirriculars.

With regard to which Actuarial Science course to do at Soton, it really depends. As someone has already mentioned, Maths at University level is very different - it is full of proofs and theorems and can be very wordy (I struggled quite a bit with Linear Algebra as an option unit I took). Economics at University level just gets more mathematical, and you can do some very statistical mathematical modules which at times you cannot actually relate with real life Economics.

If you're really that keen on become an Actuary, then the best way would be doing a pure Actuarial Science degree (though there are a few cases where firms prefer you not to join with full CT exemptions already as they believe learning whilst working is more efficient for them).

If you have any specific questions about Economics with Actuarial Science, then just post here as I'm currently second year.

Very great man! I have many problems and questions about Economics and Actuarial Science to be solved here, after searching in the posts and asking for friends in other universities. However, I believe that your idea is the most dependable and useful.

1. Is it easy to get the exemptions in CT1-8 in studying Econ. and Act. ? I heard that we could just get 3 or 4 exemptions normally unless the most brilliant ones who can get scolarship for example. How hard and approximately how many percent can we get exemption in each paper?

2. I love statistics and not afraid of reading books and newspapers. However, I really have difficulties in geometry from birth and I don't like making long compositions about investigating every single word in the question. How is the course like and what is the about percentage? After looking at the office webpage of Soton and friends' recommendation, there is about 70% Econ and 30% AS. Is it true?

3. Where do we study? In School of Maths and School of Econ? How're the lecture and seminar rooms? How about the teachers generally too? Are they friendly?

4. I found that the students taking this course generally were not too satisfied with the assessment method (e.g. exams, assignments). What do you think?

5. How is the safety in Southampton? How about the discrimmination situation? I am a Chinese and was scared while searching on the web like Wikipedia and some newspaper websites.

6. How to compare this course with Economics in Durham if I hope to be an actuary as well as a helper in financial planning in the Hong Kong Government?

Thank you very much. I know you are very helpful. Wish you a good luck.
fungtys
Very great man! I have many problems and questions about Economics and Actuarial Science to be solved here, after searching in the posts and asking for friends in other universities. However, I believe that your idea is the most dependable and useful.

1. Is it easy to get the exemptions in CT1-8 in studying Econ. and Act. ? I heard that we could just get 3 or 4 exemptions normally unless the most brilliant ones who can get scolarship for example. How hard and approximately how many percent can we get exemption in each paper?

So far I believe I have obtained the CT7 and CT3 exemptions. CT1 Financial Maths I got 72%, but that was scaled up (as the exam was proper hard) and apparently they use raw marks, so I don't think I will get that one. Just did CT4 yesterday and I found it quite hard (Stochastic Processes), so I'm hoping I'll make it up with the second half, which is Demography, next year. I've got CT2 (A&F) on wednesday, but I'm not optimistic about getting the exemption since last year 30% failed and the year before 50%.

fungtys

2. I love statistics and not afraid of reading books and newspapers. However, I really have difficulties in geometry from birth and I don't like making long compositions about investigating every single word in the question. How is the course like and what is the about percentage? After looking at the office webpage of Soton and friends' recommendation, there is about 70% Econ and 30% AS. Is it true?

There's little geometry, unless you're on the Maths course, obviously. More like 50% Econ and 50% AS; remember certain Econ units contribute to exemptions, including ECON1003 (micro), ECON1002 (macro), ECON1007 (stats), ECON1011 (quantitative modelling) and ECON2006 (stat theory).

fungtys

3. Where do we study? In School of Maths and School of Econ? How're the lecture and seminar rooms? How about the teachers generally too? Are they friendly?

In first year you tend to study in the department of where the unit belongs, otherwise it can be anywhere on the Highfield campus. They're fine, modern looking. Generally they're good and approachable, though there have been one or two I've encounted that are not that great.

fungtys
4. I found that the students taking this course generally were not too satisfied with the assessment method (e.g. exams, assignments). What do you think?

What other method can you suggest? It's the standard midterm papers, coursework and finanl exam paper :s-smilie:

fungtys

5. How is the safety in Southampton? How about the discrimmination situation? I am a Chinese and was scared while searching on the web like Wikipedia and some newspaper websites.
Quite safe from what I've seen. There have been the odd incidences, like any university/city would have. You may get some ignorant chavs on burgess road (though recently there has been an increase of community support officers on certain nights). Don't walk down Lovers walk in the night by yourself.

fungtys

6. How to compare this course with Economics in Durham if I hope to be an actuary as well as a helper in financial planning in the Hong Kong Government?

Thank you very much. I know you are very helpful. Wish you a good luck.
Durham is well respected, but internationally I'm not sure which university is more known? Econ with AS would obviously give you a lauchpad for a career in Actuary.
Reply 15
Thank you very much Mustard Man. You are truly very helpful.

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your situation. We know a joint honour with all 8 CT exemptions are quite hard to complete. Does it mean that we have to take many more lessons or they rush the syllabus especially for the course in 8 CT exemptions?

Also, do you think it is easier to get the exceptions if we study in the Maths with Act rather than Econ? And sorry, I mean that I found from the website statistics some students were unhappy about the exams (especially exceptions in 8CT exams) because the failing % is too high. Luckily we have the mid-term exam. I don't like gathering all the stuff in one final exam, it's suffering!

Thank you very much and hope to meet you in Soton!
fungtys
Thank you very much Mustard Man. You are truly very helpful.

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your situation. We know a joint honour with all 8 CT exemptions are quite hard to complete. Does it mean that we have to take many more lessons or they rush the syllabus especially for the course in 8 CT exemptions?
Although the employer will provide resources and pay for expenses, your study will be some-what independent (hence why they provide days off work specifically for your studies). So if you are already familiar with the material, you can take the exam earlier than you usually would (I think they hold CT exams twice a year).

fungtys

Also, do you think it is easier to get the exceptions if we study in the Maths with Act rather than Econ? And sorry, I mean that I found from the website statistics some students were unhappy about the exams (especially exceptions in 8CT exams) because the failing % is too high. Luckily we have the mid-term exam. I don't like gathering all the stuff in one final exam, it's suffering!

Thank you very much and hope to meet you in Soton!
Well the majority of the Actuarial units are taught to both the Maths/AS and Economics/AS students. As for the units that are not and count for exemption (ones I mentioned earlier), the Maths and Econ versions of each other are very similar (after all, they need to satisfy the Actuarial material required). For instance, for CT3, one of the units is Stats for Economics for us, and Probability and Statistics for the Maths students. Even though it has "Economics" in the title, the only thing that's really Economics is utility calculations and risk calculations in investment portfolios. Although, the Maths version uses Matlab in the course, but it is not examined in the final exam, so I could potentially do their paper without much problem. CT7 (Micro and Macro), even though an Econ unit, Maths students have to do it as well. Same goes for certain Maths units that count for exemption (e.g. Financial Mathematics CT1).
Reply 17
Thank you very much Mustard-man. What do you feel about:

1. time management during the study? How harsh and rush is the programmes and how many hours do you spend on working (separating for semester exams and exemption tests)?

2. the availability of time/books/printed materials provided by the school for you to complete the course? Or else you have to independently learn all those alone from the 1st day to the exam date?

3. the quality of tutors? Are they experienced and do they know how to teach? I can self-study esp.Maths but you know, we still need a bright lamp on our road.

4. the situations of other students? Are they happy in studying this course and getting enough exemptions they want?

Thank you very much. Hope to know your viewpoints of that. :smile:
Reply 18
hello mustard man i ve just joined this forum......anyway i ve just completed my first year of actuarial science and did quite well...however i ve been told that second year is very difficult and many students tend to drop out...i havent spoken to any second years so i m a bit lost..can you please shed some light on this subject? what is the best approach to survive year 2? what are the tricky subjects? would you recommend any books which one should definitely buy?

thanks..pls reply! :confused:
angel16
hello mustard man i ve just joined this forum......anyway i ve just completed my first year of actuarial science and did quite well...however i ve been told that second year is very difficult and many students tend to drop out...i havent spoken to any second years so i m a bit lost..can you please shed some light on this subject? what is the best approach to survive year 2? what are the tricky subjects? would you recommend any books which one should definitely buy?

thanks..pls reply!
Depends on whether you are doing the Maths or Economics one.

Stochastic processes is fairly straight forward - there's a lot of repetition. Make sure you not only learn the Maths, but understand it because in my year the exam had some narrative questions.

Financial Maths was my best module, personally I didn't find it hard. The textbook for this unit has exercises with answers. These questions are harder than what you would be examined, so if you can get them down you'll be fine.

Accounting and finance is okay... Make sure you get know how to do the main financial statements (balance sheet, income statement and cashflow statement). There's an awful lot of narrative questions as well (which I think the Maths students in particular suffer with since there are some bad failure rates), including 1/3 of the paper being an essay question.

Latest

Trending

Trending