The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks, financial maths is easy but what about contingencies which is part 2 of financial maths? we had economics ct7 exemption in the first year,i m not sure what you mean by the maths /economics degree? we have to study maths for actuarial science as well,btw i m not a student of southampton jus 2 let u know i just asked since u r also doin act. science.....what abt financial economics and probability and stats 2? and what is your take on languages as an elective?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
angel16
thanks, financial maths is easy but what about contingencies which is part 2 of financial maths? we had economics ct7 exemption in the first year,i m not sure what you mean by the maths /economics degree? we have to study maths for actuarial science as well,btw i m not a student of southampton jus 2 let u know i just asked since u r also doin act. science.....what abt financial economics and probability and stats 2? and what is your take on languages as an elective?

Well at Southampton there's 'Economics and Actuarial Science' and 'Mathematicsc and Actuarial Science'...

Haven't done Financial Economics, nor contingencies. Probability and Statistics units are okay. There's A-level S1-S4, and some statistical theory and quantitative modelling that are harder.

Do a language if it interests you.
Reply 22
Thank you for answering so many questions. What option modules should I take in the first year for Economics and Actuarial Science?
fungtys
Thank you for answering so many questions. What option modules should I take in the first year for Economics and Actuarial Science?
I can't remember how many options I had... But I would recommend Economic Policy and Perspectives and Linear Algebra (from the Maths department). I also had a management unit (Organisation and Individual), but that was rubbish... I think there might be a demography unit, if so, I would do that because in third year you have a different demography unit (which counts for exemption), so you'll have a bit of an advantage..
Reply 24
Mustard-man
I can't remember how many options I had... But I would recommend Economic Policy and Perspectives and Linear Algebra (from the Maths department).

Unfortunately first years are no longer allowed to choose electives from the School of Mathematics. :frown:
Reply 25
.ACS.
Unfortunately first years are no longer allowed to choose electives from the School of Mathematics. :frown:

You're right. Here are what I can choose from:
D1. Intro to Demographic Methods
D3. Population and Society
I1. International Relations
P1. Political Theory
M3. Management
M5. Individual and Organization

I hope to have some interesting stuff to learn without too much memorizing (putting all things into the head is stressful and boring!!!). Shall I take a module about English Grammar or Language as 1 option module as I am a Chinese and hope to learn more about English.
Reply 26
Mustard-man
I can't remember how many options I had... But I would recommend Economic Policy and Perspectives and Linear Algebra (from the Maths department). I also had a management unit (Organisation and Individual), but that was rubbish... I think there might be a demography unit, if so, I would do that because in third year you have a different demography unit (which counts for exemption), so you'll have a bit of an advantage..

can i just ask, mustard man, do people from southampton doin economics and as get good jobs in mercer, watson wyatt lpc etc or do the majority end up in deloitte etc. also where else did you apply to when you were aplying and for what subjects?
Ive heard that employers provide resources to finish the course, is this in the form of money as in could one do the acturial management msc or for books stationary???
thanks
mary26
can i just ask, mustard man, do people from southampton doin economics and as get good jobs in mercer, watson wyatt lpc etc or do the majority end up in deloitte etc. also where else did you apply to when you were aplying and for what subjects?
I didn't really know many EAS final years, so I can't really comment. Skandia were offering 2 graduate placements for MAS and EAS Soton graduates though; one was an exceptional maths student and I'm not sure who the other one was. But in terms of internships with penultimate year Econ students in general, whilst considering last year wasn't exactly the best year for work, some got internships with PWC, RBS and Watson Wyatt, and some got interviews with GS and DB (back office), Lloyds and failed.

Actuarial intake shrunk last year.

mary26

Ive heard that employers provide resources to finish the course, is this in the form of money as in could one do the acturial management msc or for books stationary???
thanks
Deloitte, for example, give you one study day per week. Employers usually pay for your Actuarial membership (which is something like £140 a year I think), exam entry, books and other study material. I don't think they give you money, and I don't think an Actuarial MSc would be sensible because they want to study for these Actuarial exams and train to be an actuary at the same time (most importantly these two work in synergy). Gaining the later exemptions through an MSc without the applicable work experience isn't really productive for them, so it would be very uncommon for them to finance you in this way and I've not heard of an Actuary firm that offers you this option.
Reply 28
Btw as much as you like southampton, you should probably consider some higher up uni's as your CV looks pretty strong

Definately good material for applying for internships at investment banks/ernst and young etc, and you got the grades to be able to apply to many of the london uni's. One of the things i regret about southampton (despite the fact southampton is everything you would expect out of a good university) is that i am disadvantaged right now for internship applications purely on the basis of my university.
As it was i got very similar grades to you (4A's, fmaths, maths, physics econ) and im doing straight maths now.

Just so you know, there is a maths and actuarial science course which is EXTREMELY popular (huge numbers of students, especially chinese students haha) and is a VERY demanding course
If you do get into the maths department for maths and actuarial, you are very likely to get a scholarship for 4A's of about 3 grand, and if you get 5A's (keep taking history and get an A) you get your entire tuition fees paid, which is a massive bonus.

---

But yeh southampton is basically everything you would expect out of a university and is really solid. I am surprised it isn't higher up on the rankings, maybe if only because it seems to attract less "top end" students and often ends up as being insurance
Reply 29
Mustard-man
I didn't really know many EAS final years, so I can't really comment. Skandia were offering 2 graduate placements for MAS and EAS Soton graduates though; one was an exceptional maths student and I'm not sure who the other one was. But in terms of internships with penultimate year Econ students in general, whilst considering last year wasn't exactly the best year for work, some got internships with PWC, RBS and Watson Wyatt, and some got interviews with GS and DB (back office), Lloyds and failed.

Actuarial intake shrunk last year.

Deloitte, for example, give you one study day per week. Employers usually pay for your Actuarial membership (which is something like £140 a year I think), exam entry, books and other study material. I don't think they give you money, and I don't think an Actuarial MSc would be sensible because they want to study for these Actuarial exams and train to be an actuary at the same time (most importantly these two work in synergy). Gaining the later exemptions through an MSc without the applicable work experience isn't really productive for them, so it would be very uncommon for them to finance you in this way and I've not heard of an Actuary firm that offers you this option.

I assume acturial intake fell because of the economic downturn.....i was going to apply for a+f but eco and as is a stronger degree and would open more doors.....and also before i was considering accountancy but i feel like there are too many accountants these days lol.....what are your plans mustard man? have you got any internship offers....im considering applying for this course but according to the post above i may be at a disadvantage by going to southamtpon if i decided becoming an actuary wasnt for me.....do you have any suggestions on what i could apply for considering my stongest subjects are maths and economics.......sorry for all the questions but im really confused. thanks in advance.
mary26
I assume acturial intake fell because of the economic downturn.....i was going to apply for a+f but eco and as is a stronger degree and would open more doors.....and also before i was considering accountancy but i feel like there are too many accountants these days lol.....what are your plans mustard man? have you got any internship offers....im considering applying for this course but according to the post above i may be at a disadvantage by going to southamtpon if i decided becoming an actuary wasnt for me.....do you have any suggestions on what i could apply for considering my stongest subjects are maths and economics.......sorry for all the questions but im really confused. thanks in advance.
Yup, precisely. The Actuarial Soc usually has a Careers Fair each year, but this year there was a drought in interest. One big financial firm even said that their Actuarial intake was reduced.

As for me, I'll be doing a masters after I finish my final year. An extra year for an additional qualification and knowledge under my belt doesn't sound too bad! I had a telephone interview for a pensions internship a few days ago, just waiting to see if I will make it to the assessment centre stage :o:

Nah, if you mean that EAS will close doors, that's not right. For accountancy roles Soton is sufficient. For Actuarial it's harder, and I think MAS would be a better choice if you want to become an Actuary. The more mathematical nature of a MAS degree goes a long way.

What are you subject grades?
Reply 31
Mustard-man
Yup, precisely. The Actuarial Soc usually has a Careers Fair each year, but this year there was a drought in interest. One big financial firm even said that their Actuarial intake was reduced.

As for me, I'll be doing a masters after I finish my final year. An extra year for an additional qualification and knowledge under my belt doesn't sound too bad! I had a telephone interview for a pensions internship a few days ago, just waiting to see if I will make it to the assessment centre stage :o:

Nah, if you mean that EAS will close doors, that's not right. For accountancy roles Soton is sufficient. For Actuarial it's harder, and I think MAS would be a better choice if you want to become an Actuary. The more mathematical nature of a MAS degree goes a long way.

What are you subject grades?

3 a's in maths economics and physsics, i think im goin to apply for eco tho, because i dont want to close doors so early and then do masters in act science for postgrad at caass or kent etc.....are you still following the acturial route?
mary26
3 a's in maths economics and physsics, i think im goin to apply for eco tho, because i dont want to close doors so early and then do masters in act science for postgrad at caass or kent etc.....are you still following the acturial route?
Okay, what are your other choices then? Soton is probably an insurance?

Yes, I am doing all the Actuarial units; this year I've got Principles of Finance (ECON unit as an option unit), demography,, actuarial maths 1 and 2, statistical methods in insurance, mathematical finance and the Economics dissertation. I'm planning on doing a masters, so internship-wise I'm not really that bothered in what I will do yet.
Reply 33
Mustard-man
Okay, what are your other choices then? Soton is probably an insurance?

Yes, I am doing all the Actuarial units; this year I've got Principles of Finance (ECON unit as an option unit), demography,, actuarial maths 1 and 2, statistical methods in insurance, mathematical finance and the Economics dissertation. I'm planning on doing a masters, so internship-wise I'm not really that bothered in what I will do yet.

no, im a retake student so southampton is not really an insurance choice lol....am thinking notts nd bristol for eco and econometrics, southampton.loughborough +sussex as insurance....what do you think?
at the moment ive got 3b's at alevel which are close to a's....am i severely disadvantaged by not doin act science at uni to those that do or those who do maths?
mary26
no, im a retake student so southampton is not really an insurance choice lol....am thinking notts nd bristol for eco and econometrics, southampton.loughborough +sussex as insurance....what do you think?
at the moment ive got 3b's at alevel which are close to a's....am i severely disadvantaged by not doin act science at uni to those that do or those who do maths?
Yeah, that sounds okay...

The most popular courses for students to go into Actuary goes from Maths to Actuarial Science, then something like statastics or economics. You're not seriously disadvataged, but the more mathematical the course the better, it seems.
Reply 35
Mustard-man
Yeah, that sounds okay...

The most popular courses for students to go into Actuary goes from Maths to Actuarial Science, then something like statastics or economics. You're not seriously disadvataged, but the more mathematical the course the better, it seems.

sorry this is going to sound like a stupid question but do you think i could do a msc in acturial science if i did a degree in a+f?

Latest

Trending

Trending