The Student Room Group

Minds Underground - genuine or affiliated with Oxbridge?

Hi

I’m a year 12 and have glimpsed their programs and high prices. Are they affiliated with Oxbridge in any way, are they not genuine or something else?

Many thanks
There aren't any paid-for schemes affiliated with the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge that I am aware of. I think they would be very reluctant to operate such schemes for fear of being immediately branded as discriminating against those from lower income backgrounds

Thousands of students get into Oxford and Cambridge every year without paying money to some predatory "consultants" for "help" which is usually just repackaged information available freely on the internet (often from the universities themselves directly).

More to the point as above, Oxbridge are going to be actively avoiding any kind of admissions process where it may be directly or indirectly possible to "buy" ones way into the university.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hi

I’m a year 12 and have glimpsed their programs and high prices. Are they affiliated with Oxbridge in any way, not genuine or something else?

Many thanks

They just look to be a third party consultation service.

Their website states that their parent company is U2 Tuition Ltd. But concerningly, a quick check on Companies House shows that entity was dissolved in 2019.

Source: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11056753
Reply 3
sorry to OP cause im not helping answer their question - i just also have questions about it (have asked on here but didn't get a response), but if they are being .. questionable.. about the oxbridge link, could it still be worth entering the essay competition they are running? Im interested in taking part as its the only one i can find that's open + that year 11s can enter. I honestly couldn't care less about the prizes, i just want to enter one and they have interesting prompts.
Original post by edjc123
sorry to OP cause im not helping answer their question - i just also have questions about it (have asked on here but didn't get a response), but if they are being .. questionable.. about the oxbridge link, could it still be worth entering the essay competition they are running? Im interested in taking part as its the only one i can find that's open + that year 11s can enter. I honestly couldn't care less about the prizes, i just want to enter one and they have interesting prompts.

If it's free and you think it would help to bolster your CV/application then it can't hurt. Just be aware that they may try to sell their services to entrants.
Original post by artful_lounger
There aren't any paid-for schemes affiliated with the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge that I am aware of. I think they would be very reluctant to operate such schemes for fear of being immediately branded as discriminating against those from lower income backgrounds...

Thousands of students get into Oxford and Cambridge every year without paying money to some predatory "consultants" for "help" which is usually just repackaged information available freely on the internet (often from the universities themselves directly).

More to the point as above, Oxbridge are going to be actively avoiding any kind of admissions process where it may be directly or indirectly possible to "buy" ones way into the university.

Original post by Admit-One
They just look to be a third party consultation service.

Their website states that their parent company is U2 Tuition Ltd. But concerningly, a quick check on Companies House shows that entity was dissolved in 2019.

Source: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11056753

Ah that makes sense - thank you:smile:.
Original post by edjc123

Bit late - I entered into the Minds Underground essay competition..imo it was worth it for the essay side for both skills and something to put on your p.s....didnt touch any of their services/consultation side tho..honestly not worth it..also Zero Gravity do a wayyy better job (bit of a plug aha - but if youre eligible for ZeroGrav...apply!!)
Reply 7
Original post by Bookworm_88
Bit late - I entered into the Minds Underground essay competition..imo it was worth it for the essay side for both skills and something to put on your p.s....didnt touch any of their services/consultation side tho..honestly not worth it..also Zero Gravity do a wayyy better job (bit of a plug aha - but if youre eligible for ZeroGrav...apply!!)

is it possible for you to give me a link? i’ve tried googling and can’t find it?
Original post by edjc123
is it possible for you to give me a link? i’ve tried googling and can’t find it?

The essay comp might not be open yet?
Original post by edjc123

If you mean the mind underground essay comp., then:
https://www.mindsunderground.com/minds-underground-2022-competitions

If you mean ZeroGrav then:
https://www.zerogravity.co.uk/students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending