The Student Room Group

How easy is it to progress in the Civil Service without being on the Fast Stream?

As the title says. I know it takes around 3/4 years to go from HEO to G7 on the Fast Stream, but what is the likelihood of this happening for Civil Service careers that aren't Fast Stream? I'm currently working at HEO level but was just wondering how easy or difficult it would be to progress to higher grades?
Reply 1
It depends on your department and the number of opportunities you have at SO and G7. Consider the grade mix - if yours is an top heavy structure like HMT, its easier. If its a pyramid like HMRC or DWP then it's much harder. This is a very generic answer and there will be much more at play but see feel free to check out the below link.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/grade-structures-civil-service

4 years outside the fast stream is possible but the fast stream will equip you with skills to go beyond G7 fairly quickly. It depends on what your ambitions are.

My tips for promotion - 1) Get a mentor 2) Look for what a SO role looks like in the area you wish to work in and what skills you lack - fill those gaps with wider experience. 3) Keep applying for the grad scheme - this remains your best bet for a smoother transition to G7.

All the best
Original post by MCFC_uk
It depends on your department and the number of opportunities you have at SO and G7. Consider the grade mix - if yours is an top heavy structure like HMT, its easier. If its a pyramid like HMRC or DWP then it's much harder. This is a very generic answer and there will be much more at play but see feel free to check out the below link.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/grade-structures-civil-service

4 years outside the fast stream is possible but the fast stream will equip you with skills to go beyond G7 fairly quickly. It depends on what your ambitions are.

My tips for promotion - 1) Get a mentor 2) Look for what a SO role looks like in the area you wish to work in and what skills you lack - fill those gaps with wider experience. 3) Keep applying for the grad scheme - this remains your best bet for a smoother transition to G7.

All the best

Thanks for this. It’s very useful.

When you say to fill the gaps with wider experience, what exactly do you mean?
Reply 3
Original post by Econ.grad
Thanks for this. It’s very useful.

When you say to fill the gaps with wider experience, what exactly do you mean?

Look at what an SO does in the role you want and then compare that with the skills you have. The difference is the gap. Speak to your manager or mentor to find opportunities that allow you to fill those skills/experience gaps
Original post by MCFC_uk
Look at what an SO does in the role you want and then compare that with the skills you have. The difference is the gap. Speak to your manager or mentor to find opportunities that allow you to fill those skills/experience gaps

Thanks! So how long would you recommend to stay in a HEO role before applying for a SEO?
Original post by Econ.grad
Thanks! So how long would you recommend to stay in a HEO role before applying for a SEO?

I have asked this question to a few senior leaders (G6 and above), and their average is 2 years per grade. So one should start applying for promotion after one year in the current grade, as it takes around 6+ months from application to start date within CS.
Hi! I didn’t get on the fast stream and started as an HEO, I applied and was promoted to SEO after a year, I might apply for G7 next year so it would take me three years to get to G7. Hope that answers your question.
Reply 7
Original post by xoxrazzyxox
Hi! I didn’t get on the fast stream and started as an HEO, I applied and was promoted to SEO after a year, I might apply for G7 next year so it would take me three years to get to G7. Hope that answers your question.

Which department are you in? Some are quicker to progress than others.
Original post by username5809954

I'd say whenever you feel ready and have examples that meet the indicators in the behaviours.
Original post by MCFC_uk
Which department are you in? Some are quicker to progress than others.

I was in The Department for Health and Social Care. However, I’ve worked in HMRC, Treasury and DHSC so I would say it depends more what kind of SEO role you’re looking at, if it’s within Policy then you’ll need adequate Policy experience. I noticed that HR BPs get promoted very quickly to G7. The focus is on whether or not you meet the criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending