The Student Room Group

A-level Biology Practical Endorsement contents

I am aware that some of the contents will be known prior to the exam, but will they also reveal which practical endorsements are going to be assessed or not?
I doubt so. I think we will need to know the theory behind the practicals even if we don't actually have to do them, however if they remove some topics, we might not need to know the practicals for those topics. At the moment, I think all we can do is wait and see. :smile:
Original post by Purple43Monkey
I doubt so. I think we will need to know the theory behind the practicals even if we don't actually have to do them, however if they remove some topics, we might not need to know the practicals for those topics. At the moment, I think all we can do is wait and see. :smile:

thx for ur message,

do u know when the announcement will be?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
thx for ur message,

do u know when the announcement will be?

It should be on the 7th February
Original post by Purple43Monkey
It should be on the 7th February

thx, do you know where to find A-level biology pratical endorsements? I am currently studying with "AQA A-level biology complete revision & practice book", but not sure where to find them
thx, do you know where to find A-level biology pratical endorsements? I am currently studying with "AQA A-level biology complete revision & practice book", but not sure where to find them

This is the AQA practical handbook: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-7401-7402-PHBK.PDF

thx, when you did the practical endorsement, did they teach you how to do it beforehand?

also do u need to sit things like exams that are marked for praticals?
I did mine as a private candidate, so over the course of two days in the lab (a couple were data only, due to Covid). You get given instructions and typically most equipment and solutions will also be provided (this is just due to number of people and to avoid queues for things like a balance - it’s also less wasteful). Depending on your class size, you might get to make up solutions etc.

The teacher/tutor will likely go through what you have to do and you are able to ask questions throughout - it is not an exam, it is for you to show competence in practical work. The idea is for you to work as independently as possible, which you’ll get to by the time you’ve done a few.

There are no exams, it’s just your competence in the lab and your write up (see mark schemes in handbook).

Questions about the practicals and how to do lab work and analysis will come up in the actual exams.

It would be an idea who read the type of experiment you’re going to do beforehand and think about things like safety, sources of error, how to analyse results, what analysis of results will tell you etc. By the time you’ve done two or three practicals it’ll all become very familiar.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
Original post by BlueChicken
I did mine as a private candidate, so over the course of two days in the lab (a couple were data only, due to Covid). You get given instructions and typically most equipment and solutions will also be provided (this is just due to number of people and to avoid queues for things like a balance - it’s also less wasteful). Depending on your class size, you might get to make up solutions etc.

The teacher/tutor will likely go through what you have to do and you are able to ask questions throughout - it is not an exam, it is for you to show competence in practical work. The idea is for you to work as independently as possible, which you’ll get to by the time you’ve done a few.

There are no exams, it’s just your competence in the lab and your write up (see mark schemes in handbook).

Questions about the practicals and how to do lab work and analysis will come up in the actual exams.

It would be an idea who read the type of experiment you’re going to do beforehand and think about things like safety, sources of error, how to analyse results, what analysis of results will tell you etc. By the time you’ve done two or three practicals it’ll all become very familiar.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

i just started my a-level biology revision (2 weeks ago), do u need prior knowledge apart from gcse biology? or not since u are only need to follow instruction?
i just started my a-level biology revision (2 weeks ago), do u need prior knowledge apart from gcse biology? or not since u are only need to follow instruction?

You will need to know A-level content, but I doubt you'd do the practical until you had covered the necessary content in lessons. Saying that, I am pretty sure you can perform all of the biology practicals by following the instructions and having an idea about scientific rigour when performing experiments. You'll need to know how and when to control variables and how to accurately record your method and data for use in your write up. However, you will likely have to look up/revise information to do the write up.

All the experiments are in the handbook, as is how to record data etc. Most text books also cover the practicals. If you look up the practical in advance, you can revise the necessary topic - you'll need to know the content for the exam anyway. It is possible you'll be asked to plan an experiment, or part of it, so you need to know how to do that too.

As I said earlier, you are allowed to ask questions during the practical.
You will need to know A-level content, but I doubt you'd do the practical until you had covered the necessary content in lessons. Saying that, I am pretty sure you can perform all of the biology practicals by following the instructions and having an idea about scientific rigour when performing experiments. You'll need to know how and when to control variables and how to accurately record your method and data for use in your write up. However, you will likely have to look up/revise information to do the write up.

All the experiments are in the handbook, as is how to record data etc. Most text books also cover the practicals. If you look up the practical in advance, you can revise the necessary topic - you'll need to know the content for the exam anyway. It is possible you'll be asked to plan an experiment, or part of it, so you need to know how to do that too.

As I said earlier, you are allowed to ask questions during the practical.

would it be okay to just cover the practical skills presented in the text book?
would it be okay to just cover the practical skills presented in the text book?

What do you mean? For doing the practical? Or for writing it up? There will also be questions on practicals in the actual exam, so it is not wasted learning.
What do you mean? For doing the practical? Or for writing it up? There will also be questions on practicals in the actual exam, so it is not wasted learning.

yes, i meant for practical. I am currently using a book called "AQA A-level Biology complete practice and revision", which has a number of practical skills - I was just wondering if these are all what needed for the practical endorsement?
yes, i meant for practical. I am currently using a book called "AQA A-level Biology complete practice and revision", which has a number of practical skills - I was just wondering if these are all what needed for the practical endorsement?

I'm a bit concerned reading this. I think you're a private candidate (from your previous posts), but you do realise that the NEA (practical endorsement) isn't something which you do yourself, don't you? There are two elements to the practical part of the course. One is that the practicals are examined as part of the written papers, with the caveats of the advance guidance which has recently been released. The other is that a teacher, lecturer or other person needs to observe you carrying out the practicals and certify your competence in them to the board before you can receive the practical endorsement. You have arranged that part of the NEA, haven't you? The way you've written this, and previous posts, suggests that you haven't.

Yes, I expect it's fine in terms of preparation for doing the practical (is it a CGP one?). For the practicals, you need to know how to complete an experiment in a laboratory environment, both safely, competently and with scientific rigour. You are observed doing this by a marker, e.g. tutor/teacher. You also then need to write up the practical experiment, discuss/analyse results and then discuss/conclude something and likely talk about uncertainties and ways to improve experiment. This write up is also marked. You need to go through the practicals handbook - it tells you what each practical is examining and what you need to do to get the marks. It is pretty straightforward.

You also need to be aware that there will be questions on practicals in the exams. For example, it might ask the experimental steps required to get a certain set of results. Or you might be given some data and asked to draw a graph and then use that graph to determine something else. Or it might be on uncertainties in measurements or what variables you need to control. All things that the practical experiments contain.

Typically, the first practical is a bit of an introduction one and people are given more assistance. Once the process is clear, then people begin to work more and more independently for the remaining 11. Again, although you are observed when doing the practicals, it is not an exam and you can ask questions. The aim is for you to demonstrate how to do something competently and safely - part of that is asking if you don't know, rather than doing something potentially unsafe.

Is that any clearer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending