The Student Room Group

What does "practical endorsement in all Science subjects" mean?

Hi, I was looking at courses in King's College London and noticed that a lot of them had requirements that: "If you are taking linear A-levels in England, you will be required to pass the practical endorsement in all Science subjects. This is with the exception of private candidates who are unable to take the practical component."

When I looked up what this meant online, all it was saying was that the practical endorsement is a component of all 3 science A levels, however I'm assuming that KCL isn't asking for PPE student to have done Bio, Chem and Physics. Does it mean that they expect passing GCSE grades in science? Would love some clarification :smile:
Reply 1
KCL Biomed student here! So, the practical endorsement is something for A-Level science subjects where basically you have required practicals and your teachers have to prove that you have completed all the practicals successfully, at which point you pass the endorsement. It's basically something to say you have basic practical experience, and it's required if you want to do any kind of science degree that require science A-Levels.

Therefore, unless if you're not doing biology, chemistry or physics at A-Level, this doesn't apply to you. If you are doing one or more of those, it just means you have to do your required practicals and probably complete your lab book for those so your teacher can check it and pass you. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, its the practical element of science A levels. A pass/fail in it does not impact your grade from the exams you have sat. science degree courses will insist that it is passed as part of their requirements. Some non-science degree do as well because passing it requires a level of organisation and time managment on the part of the student (which may be a key quality for that degree)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending