The Student Room Group

Is it ok not to be ok in work?

For the past 3 weeks, I've been feeling really depressed in work. I've been at the company for 7 weeks and haven't really had the opportunity to make friends with people.

The company I'm at has a hybrid system. You can either work at home or work in the office. I mostly work at home.

I think my boss can tell that I'm not happy, I fake a smile whenever we talk on video call. They asked me "whether I was happy"? If I was Ok?

Although I told them I was ok and happy, I think my boss could tell I'm not ok.

I've had really good days at work but I'm just feel depressed. I know I have to push myself more.

Is it ok to not be ok at work and generally in life? Do you have any advice, thank u
Original post by Anonymous
For the past 3 weeks, I've been feeling really depressed in work. I've been at the company for 7 weeks and haven't really had the opportunity to make friends with people.

The company I'm at has a hybrid system. You can either work at home or work in the office. I mostly work at home.

I think my boss can tell that I'm not happy, I fake a smile whenever we talk on video call. They asked me "whether I was happy"? If I was Ok?

I've had really good days at work but I'm just feel depressed. I know I have to push myself more.

Is it ok to not be ok at work and generally in life? Do you have any advice, thank u

What job is it?
Reply 2
What job is it?

creative industry
I think its a delicate balance tbh, it's probably not healthy but I definitely have to force myself to be as sociable and 'positive' as possible.
Which is difficult with a mood disorder, to be honest it is partially the reason I feel tired in the evenings, being around people trying to put a facade on constantly is really draining.
I feel like some of that is just partially being an introvert, I really don't want to talk to anyone at 8:30 in the morning or for 8 hours a day but it is what it is.
The office system is definitely made for extroverts.

I think you do have to force yourself to some extent but also employers can't expect people to be 100% fine all the time.
The only danger with being too open is that if an employer thinks you arent doing the job well enough as someone else could then they can find ways to push you out without explicitly firing you.
Working from home is also a hard balance, I didn't get to work from home much but when I did I loved it and it made me dread going in even more.
My current job doesn't do WFH which has its benefits and draw backs.

Honestly this wasn't really advice as I still haven't figured it out myself but more a hug of support :hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
I think its a delicate balance tbh, it's probably not healthy but I definitely have to force myself to be as sociable and 'positive' as possible.
Which is difficult with a mood disorder, to be honest it is partially the reason I feel tired in the evenings, being around people trying to put a facade on constantly is really draining.
I feel like some of that is just partially being an introvert, I really don't want to talk to anyone at 8:30 in the morning or for 8 hours a day but it is what it is.
The office system is definitely made for extroverts.

I think you do have to force yourself to some extent but also employers can't expect people to be 100% fine all the time.
The only danger with being too open is that if an employer thinks you arent doing the job well enough as someone else could then they can find ways to push you out without explicitly firing you.
Working from home is also a hard balance, I didn't get to work from home much but when I did I loved it and it made me dread going in even more.
My current job doesn't do WFH which has its benefits and draw backs.

Honestly this wasn't really advice as I still haven't figured it out myself but more a hug of support :hugs:

Thanks so much.. (:

Hey,
Sorry to hear you're feeling like this. It most defiantly is ok to not be ok though! and it's unrealistic to expect yourself to be happy all the time, it's important to feel what you're feeling to get better.
If this is something that you do want to address it might be helpful to talk to your boss as many businesses now offer support schemes that they can help you access and provide that support to help you feel better and give you the support that will most benefit you. if this is not an option for you then it might be worth contacting your GP and explaining that you are feeling depressed and work and not ok in life in general, they can offer different techniques and option to help you feel better.

Maybe try to talk to someone new at work to help break the barriers stopping you from making friends, it might help you feel better knowing that you have people you are friends with at work and try doing an extra shift in the office to kick start this process.
But its totally ok not to be ok!

-Eleanor
Student Ambassador

Yh it's fine, if you aren't happy maybe find a job that may make you happy

Quick Reply

Latest