The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Rejected from st andrews

Hi,
Just received a rejection from st Andrews for psychology. The entry requirements were AAB, I am predicted A* A* A. I have received offers from only Nottingham and Loughborough and was rejected from Cambridge post interview. The fact I got a Cambridge interview in the first place leads me to believe my personal statement was not the issue. I was the year that didn't do GCSEs, and I got a 6, six 7s and two 8s. Obviously, these grades aren't amazing but St Andrews says that the GCSES especially for my year weren't considered as heavily - also they weren't reflective of my ability. Why might I have been rejected?

I am also now really scared because I applied to Kings and I know that if I didn't get St Andrews I won't get Kings. I super do not want to go to Nottingham and Loughborough.

Feeling a bit crap because so far its two rejections from my two dream unis, and a pending rejection from Kings.

Why might I have been rejected? What do I do?
Applied with predicted 3 b's and a contexual, ill tell u how it goes
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Maybe apply elsewhere there are so many units out there don't li i yourself to the best Ik that the best might show you as the top but I'm telling you uni is the same eevrywhere
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Just received a rejection from st Andrews for psychology. The entry requirements were AAB, I am predicted A* A* A. I have received offers from only Nottingham and Loughborough and was rejected from Cambridge post interview. The fact I got a Cambridge interview in the first place leads me to believe my personal statement was not the issue. I was the year that didn't do GCSEs, and I got a 6, six 7s and two 8s. Obviously, these grades aren't amazing but St Andrews says that the GCSES especially for my year weren't considered as heavily - also they weren't reflective of my ability. Why might I have been rejected?

I am also now really scared because I applied to Kings and I know that if I didn't get St Andrews I won't get Kings. I super do not want to go to Nottingham and Loughborough.

Feeling a bit crap because so far its two rejections from my two dream unis, and a pending rejection from Kings.

Contact St Andrews and ask for feedback. Some universities will not necessarily go into geat detail about why an applicant was rejected, but it might give you an indication of what they were prioritising.

Nothing is written in stone re: Kings yet, so try not to worry about it for now.
Reply 4
Original post by sfequickquest
Applied with predicted 3 b's and a contexual, ill tell u how it goes

good luck! just super baffled considering I met all requirements and did extras like EPQ and work exp. Im sure you'll do amazing
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Contact St Andrews and ask for feedback. Some universities will not necessarily go into geat detail about why an applicant was rejected, but it might give you an indication of what they were prioritising.

Nothing is written in stone re: Kings yet, so try not to worry about it for now.

Yeah, contacted them but on track the feedback was just 'its competitive etc'. :/
Reply 6
Original post by Unknown.la123
Maybe apply elsewhere there are so many units out there don't li i yourself to the best Ik that the best might show you as the top but I'm telling you uni is the same eevrywhere

isn't it too late to apply elsewhere considering i've used all five choices and deadlines have passed?
Hi,

I just got rejected as well and I predicted A* A A and with similar grades at gcse - 7 (7s) and 2 (8s)
Reply 8
Original post by Charlotte8888
I just got rejected as well and I predicted A* A A and with similar grades at gcse - 7 (7s) and 2 (8s)

I'm really sorry about that. It does suck, maybe it's worth writing to the university like someone suggested and ask what their reasoning was. Are you a UK student?
FWIW St. Andrews has even rejected people who ended up going to Oxbridge, it has always seemed weird to me. Try not to beat yourself up too much about it.
I'm really sorry to hear that. Don't give up on Kings yet, you may be surprised. However, if you don't get in, I wouldn't necessarily commit yourself to going to Nottingham or Loughborough. If your final results are as strong as they are predicted to be, then maybe an alternative would be to take a gap year and reapply to the universities you really want, this time for 2023 entry, and do as much as you can to enhance your accomplishments (such as by applying for work or volunteering opportunities during the summer) before the deadlines (this year the Oxford/Cambridge deadline is 15 October and all other universities are 25 January 2023: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply).

Something I would recommend which might help your application would be to seek out opportunities to participate in psychology experiments at universities near where you live, if possible. Most of them are happy to have members of the public as participants, not just others in the university. You can often find these just by searching on Google for the name of the university and psychology experiments. For example, here are pages about Edinburgh University's (https://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/psychology/research/volunteering) and UCL's (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/research/experimental-psychology/opportunities/participating/). This was something I began doing when I was an undergraduate: my degree was actually in English, not psychology, but I was interested in it too, and the university was happy to get participants from any subject, and also from members of the public who were not even at the university.

Something I also noticed when I would go along to the department and look at the noticeboards for current experiments is that there was a strong emphasis on psychology students helping each other by participating in experiments run by other students, not just their own. So if you can demonstrate this kind of willingness to get involved in helping others with their experiments even before you go to university, I think that would help your application to study psychology. Some of these experiments often pay their participants so you might be able to earn some extra money too. Good luck and hope things work out for you.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm really sorry about that. It does suck, maybe it's worth writing to the university like someone suggested and ask what their reasoning was. Are you a UK student?

Yes I have done that today, yeah I’m a uk student
Hi,

I got all 9s at GCSE, 3 A*s predicted, got an offer for oxford but still rejected from St Andrews lmao
Hi,

Considering the acceptance rate for psychology is the lowest in st andrews along w computer science at like 6 percent don't be too hard on you self.
I got rejected for econ despite getting into oxford and LSE. I wouldn't take a rejection too personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending