The Student Room Group

Depression and Derealization: I'm too exhausted to do more then the absolute minimum

Hey there!! I'd just like to vent a little! There might be some people here who can relate to this. I'm currently back in education after a good 5 years of taking time out of education due to my mental health. I never did get my GCSES ( aside from maths and English from a college in 2017). I had a mental health crisis in 2015, after which I started doing volunteering in mental health (since it was something productive to do and didn't hurt as much).It's important to note that I'm currently on setrilin for anxiety and depression (I've tried Citalopram and fluoxitine). I also struggle with chronic detachment (Derealization disorder) (I haven't felt real since 2016!!)Anyway, now, at 23, I'm on my final few assignments of the social sciences assess course. So far I've gotten distinctions in ever assignment (which I couldn't be less proud of, most people got distinctions, I'm not special at all!!!). But I'm trying harder then I've ever tired before. But it still isn't good enough. I'm able to do about an hour a day to three hours on a good day, and maybe get some easy food. That's more or less my day. I take care of myself, I clean my room when needed, I wash my clothes when needed, and eat when I gotta. Summer usually looks a little better with me going out for bike rides (but it does next to nothing for my Derealization or mood, but I know the benefits so I don't let that put me down)I'm planning to go to university next year to study psychology.How the hell am I going to reach my goals when my best isn't nearly good enough? Most people have a job, study, and kinda take care of themselves throughout university, but I can barely take care of myself when I have one responsiblity of studying an hour a day! I guess I just I'm just embarrassed and disappointed that I can't do better. I'm doing better then I've ever done before in regards to education, but it just isn't good enough. Thank you for reading!
Please go and see your GP for blood tests.
Your depression may be linked to low vitamin D levels.
An estimated 1 in 5 people are thought to have low vitamin D levels.
Vitamin D acts like a hormone in the body.
Lack of it will result in anxiety, depression, lack of energy endless sleeping etc.
There are plenty of good videos on YouTube that explain the effects of low vitamin D and how to identify it.
You mainly get this from sun exposure unless you take supplements.
Food cannot supply it in sufficient quantities.
Between September and March in the UK you should be taking supplements.
There are also other reasons for your low energy levels but you will need your GP to investigate.
At your age you should not be so naturally low in energy.

Quick Reply

Latest