The Student Room Group

I've sent A picture by accident and I feel depressed.

Okay so. I was walking back from School until I noticed some girl added me on snapchat. I haven't had a girlfriend yet so I decided to talk to her. We have been having a good conversation. Everything seemed normal until she said she was " Horny x" I was like okay....Then she sent "Send and I'll send nudes" I didn't care and I tried to avoid it by saying "Do we know each other?" Or like "What do you look like" "are we the same age" and so on. She kept going and I came home and she was saying a bunch of weird ****. She sent me a picture then she said now "you send me one to make it fair" I was worried. My stupid mind decided to take a small quick picture and quickly delete it. This kept going for a few times until she said "I'll snap you later" I kept deleting my snaps Everytime I sent it. I blocked her and unblock her cause I don't know if it deleted the chat. Does it if you block them? Let me know please. Anyway I feel ****ing terrible. It makes me feel like I've failed everyone. My family and friends. I'm having a slight panic attack Everytime I think about it. I'm depressed. What. Do. I. Do?
Are you identifiable in the pictures? From your face, a birthmark or other distinguishing feature? Or does the background (your room?) identify you as being the subject of the pictures? If not, then chalk it up to experience and forget about it. The person you sent them to just has some random pictures of some random person, which nobody can prove is you.

(Top tip: before you send any picture, imagine that it is immediately available for the entire world to see; if you're not happy with that, don't send it.)
OK. Don't panic. The first few pictures you sent were clearly innocent enough. I'm trying to work out whether the "compromising" picture(s) you sent are provably you. Without wishing to be too indelicate about it, if you've sent a picture of your face, and then your room and then a closeup of a certain part of your body, then you're fine - as that closeup isn't necessary you (i.e. if that close-up doesn't also include something which is definitely you).

This might all be innocent enough. Or it might be a set-up. Obviously, whatever this person says now - don't send any more pictures. They might try to use the existing pictures as leverage to get you to send more. Don't.
Reply 3
Okay...Thanks..I didn't set up anything but thanks for the advice. I blocked the person, I'm still not sure if the chat deletes if you block something but I really appreciate the advice. I feel...15% better. I'm trying to forget about it and move on with my life happy like I was before this incident. Again, Thank you👍🏾🙏🏾
(edited 2 years ago)
Learn from this and don’t ever send a picture of your face to someone you don’t know followed by, in all probability, a photo of your genitals. You should only sext with people you know and trust and even then you should always avoid including identifiable features such as your face, hands, birthmarks, room background and so on.
Reply 5
Okay thank you for the advice and yes I have learned from this. Thank you for the advice. It really means alot🙏🏾🙏🏾👍🏾👍🏾
Original post by EDC123$$
I didn't set up anything...

I was meaning that the original person who contacted you might have been setting you up. There are lots of stories of this sort of thing happening, when the original sender isn't who they claim to be. When they send you a photo of themselves or their room, they're just sending random pictures they found on the net. The sole purpose is to make you trust them and send pictures of yourself in response.

If you receive an unsolicited message like this on Snapchat (or any social media), imagine it's from some fat 50-year-old bloke before replying, because it probably is.
Reply 7
I believe there is unlikely to be any backlash - You might never ever hear anything again about sending the pics. You might have been set up by someone else as a joke or a prank. If you know how to block messages I imagine you already have your settings on contact me - 'My friends' rather than 'everyone?' I believe when you block someone on snap chat it deletes the prior messages and photos - you would have to make sure and check.

You haven't failed - not at all. You might have done something stupid but who hasn't? If you learn from this it might save you so much grief and heartache when you are older and wiser. It might make you more cautious to send to unknown messages or links and it might just help prevent you being hacked or having all sorts of stuff embedded on your phone later down the line.

If this is the worst thing ever to happen to you, you will be OK - You have your health and your life, and your family and friends are still alive.

I say 'own' it because literally there is nothing else you can do (Grin knowingly if anyone ever mentions it and deny all knowledge) - or completely disown it and say it was your twin Brother not you (let them prove you haven't got one) No one has died from embarrassment but don't let people get under your skin. Keep saying -
"No What picture?"

If you get really anxious please talk to someone about this

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/for-children-and-young-people/finding-support/

If you realise you are brooding over it - get up, do something different and don't even allow yourself to revisit and go back over it.
Water under the bridge. Move onwards and upwards
I love this tip, I'm stealing it
Original post by DataVenia
Are you identifiable in the pictures? From your face, a birthmark or other distinguishing feature? Or does the background (your room?) identify you as being the subject of the pictures? If not, then chalk it up to experience and forget about it. The person you sent them to just has some random pictures of some random person, which nobody can prove is you.

(Top tip: before you send any picture, imagine that it is immediately available for the entire world to see; if you're not happy with that, don't send it.)

I love this tip, I'm stealing it
OP, please don't sweat it. Most of us have done this, and please you haven't failed anyone. Don't send more photos and it is very likely that the person will get bored and delete the photos (if they haven't already anyway).
Reply 11
Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Thank you all, I'm feeling better thanks to all of your advices. I really mean it, this wasn't easy to talk about for me because it has never happened so I thank you. Really appreciate it.🙏🏾🙏🏾

Quick Reply

Latest