The Student Room Group

Metaldehyde slug pellets banned as gardeners encouraged to use beer on slugs instead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foxehh
PRSOM.
Even if people are insistent on killing them, cutting them in half or smushing them with a foot are the 'nice' ways to do it. Its rather unnecessary to dehydrate them to death over a matter of minutes with salt or drown them in alcohol ( and mildly concerning that so many people go out of their way to make them suffer when there are much easier methods that are not akin to torturing the poor things :colonhash: ).

I know right? The lack of compassion some people have is very worrying. No wonder there are putins and donald trumps in the world. Until mankind learns to live with and treat animals respectfully and not kill them, there will always be war. Old archimedes quote i believe.
I don't use slug pellets not because they are cruel to slugs (I don't give a single **** about them) but because they are also poisonus to humans, so if my plants also get contaminated it's dangerous when it comes to eating their produce.
I usually just grab a knife and hack them in half, it's ****ing disgusting and is more tiring as well but its very simple, quick and hazard free to do.
I'm sorry but if they can't be bothered learning to swim then what do they expect.
Original post by boulderingislife
Hindu vegan? I like it haha. Never understood how milk was acceptable in hinduism. Cow death and all. Been trying to get my mum off it for moral and religious reasons for ages (she’s a devout hindu and drinks milk!!!)

Most of my vegan hindu friends are rastra supporters or very traditionalist caste obsessed hindu nationalists that come close to fundamentalism.
Won't tolerate any dairy products, alcohol, eggs, meat or honey in their homes & offices.
A few also have long lists of banned fruits and vegetables.

Is your mother teetotal or vegetarian?
Maybe she has some hereditary health problems or a history of illness since childhood connected with vitamin deficiencies/issues with absorption from non-food & drink sources and has received medical advice to keep consuming milk.
My mother's family have these types of problems arising from centuries of endogamy and arranged marriages.
I eat dairy cheese a few times a year and will never be vegan or vegetarian.
I buy & make my own vegan ice creams, butters, spreads, margarines and cream.
Two things...

Firstly, slugs are pests, particularly to farmers. That's why we kill them and that's mainly where this new law is pointed. The farming industry.

Secondly, the title is misleading. Slug pellets aren't banned, only Metaldehyde-based slug pellets are banned, it's a law that has been in the making for a number of years now and one of our clients at work have been a key reason as to why it has taken so long. You (and farmers) can still buy and use slug pellets. However, they will use other means. Most likely ferric phosphate-based along with another ingredient that boosts iron absorption, thus killing them via an iron overdose.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Two things...

Firstly, slugs are pests, particularly to farmers. That's why we kill them and that's mainly where this new law is pointed. The farming industry.

Secondly, the title is misleading. Slug pellets aren't banned, only Metaldehyde-based slug pellets are banned, it's a law that has been in the making for a number of years now and one of our clients at work have been a key reason as to why it has taken so long. You (and farmers) can still buy and use slug pellets. However, they will use other means. Most likely ferric phosphate-based along with another ingredient that boosts iron absorption, thus killing them via an iron overdose.

So I need to re-edit the title then? I think that character limit for titles is too short.
Updated the title once again to make it more specific
Original post by TheMcSame
Two things...

Why kill them though? They're part of this earth too. They have evolved and almost certainly have evolved to form a critical part of the ecosystem. Humans are destroying the planet by changing the ecosystem. We should come to live with the animals in their natural environment rather than just kill them off as humans seem to be too quick to do. Also, put yourself in the slugs shoes. What if you were lower down the food chain. How would you like it if someone higher up the food chain just killed you off because you were an inconvenience to them? It's the wrong way to think that it's acceptable just to kill something as you don't like them. It's morally repugnant. Just let them be I say. Slugs need food too. They need a habitat. Same with all animals. Humans need to learn to stop being so greedy and selfish and coexist with the environment, not alter it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending