The Student Room Group

has anyone ever had an interview for a job that is too advanced after a traineeship?

The job that I am interviewing for is too advanced even after completing the traineeship. What do I do?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
They would not interview you in the first place if they didn't think it was a job you could learn to do.

You tell them you appreciate you still have much to learn but you will totally dedicate yourself to the job to become an asset to their organisation.

Be confident. Just remember this; what have you got to lose?, give it your best shot. Worst that can happen is the job doesn't work out and you have to do something else but at least you tried and gave it your best effort. But to progress you have to break out your comfort zone and give it a go and then do your level best to learn the new job in the role. As you advance on in your career you will reach many more crossroads like this, you have to take the advancing path if you are to progress. I have had many anxious moments like this in my own career in the past I can tell you and you have to go for it. You can smash this. Giving up or not even trying is not an option.

Being successful in life is a journey not a destination

Good Luck
Original post by LsDad
They would not interview you in the first place if they didn't think it was a job you could learn to do.

You tell them you appreciate you still have much to learn but you will totally dedicate yourself to the job to become an asset to their organisation.

Be confident. Just remember this; what have you got to lose?, give it your best shot. Worst that can happen is the job doesn't work out and you have to do something else but at least you tried and gave it your best effort. But to progress you have to break out your comfort zone and give it a go and then do your level best to learn the new job in the role. As you advance on in your career you will reach many more crossroads like this, you have to take the advancing path if you are to progress. I have had many anxious moments like this in my own career in the past I can tell you and you have to go for it. You can smash this. Giving up or not even trying is not an option.

Being successful in life is a journey not a destination

Good Luck

as in what would I say at the interview? the traineeship did not prepare me well for the job. I have transferable skills from the traineeship but the traineeship (from the same company by the way) was too simple, this is advanced and the worst that can happen is I don’t get the job, I’m not expecting to. You can usually predict the interview questions from the job description and if they ask anything from majority of the job description I wouldn’t be able to answer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Give it your best shot

The main thing is that you need to tell them that you recognise that you have much to learn with the business but you will work at it and give it your best effort. You want to become a credit to their business.

I cant know what specific questions they will ask you as i don't know what the job is but you just need to relax and show you are interested. Read up about their business, go to their website. Its will be clear from your CV what your current or past skills are so expand on your interests and why you are passionate about working for them. working in that industry.

Its not an interrogation they just want to chat to you, don't be negative. you can get this job. They are not recruiting someone highly experienced from what you are saying they just need to know you are reliable, trustworthy and will turn up and apply yourself fully.

Good Luck and Take Care now
Original post by Anon346775
as in what would I say at the interview? the traineeship did not prepare me well for the job. I have transferable skills from the traineeship but the traineeship (from the same company by the way) was too simple, this is advanced and the worst that can happen is I don’t get the job, I’m not expecting to. You can usually predict the interview questions from the job description and if they ask anything from majority of the job description I wouldn’t be able to answer.

You may be very surprised. It might just be the language of the job description that is more formal or obscure that was used on the traineeship. After all, if they know you from the traineeship, and they know what they want in the job, and they've read your application and selected you - the company must see some value in interviewing you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending