The Student Room Group

What happens if I miss exams?

I'm going to miss two of them. How badly will that affect my overall grades?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hope you're having some life-saving procedure done during the exams and that is what's preventing you from attending, because if it's not that, you're doing an incredibly stupid mistake - you really need to sit all the papers to get the grades. What you're planning on doing is nothing short of wasting your A-levels and forcing you to retake them next year. DON'T SKIP TESTS.
Original post by Andy Lamborghini
I hope you're having some life-saving procedure done during the exams and that is what's preventing you from attending, because if it's not that, you're doing an incredibly stupid mistake - you really need to sit all the papers to get the grades. What you're planning on doing is nothing short of wasting your A-levels and forcing you to retake them next year. DON'T SKIP TESTS.

Um.. I'm not "skipping" them because I'm partying or something.. :smile:. I have extenuating circumstances. Trust me, I would do anything to avoid this lol.
What exams are you missing?
Original post by Kitaa :))
What exams are you missing?

A levels
Original post by Summer Bird
A levels

no, I mean what subjects?
no, I mean what subjects?

FM P1 and Physics P1... most important subjects for me.
I'm going to miss two of them. How badly will that affect my overall grades?

depends on the reasons for missing them.
Original post by gdunne42
depends on the reasons for missing them.

"Solid" reason... nothing stupid and completely "out of my hands" situation.
FM P1 and Physics P1... most important subjects for me.

yeah I think it would affect your results because itsn't it when you don't turn up to one of your papers you get a 'fail', and because subjects like physics have three exam papers (that's what google said btw), it would mean for you to get the grade you wanted, it would have to be the top bands for the other two papers - idk, but I wouldn't miss it if I was you
(edited 1 year ago)
"Solid" reason... nothing stupid and completely "out of my hands" situation.

If the examiners accept you have a valid and unavoidable reason for missing some of the exams they can award you a grade based on how well you perform in the exams you do take. Your exams officer can advise
yeah I think it would affect your results because itsn't it when you don't turn up to one of your papers you get failed and because subjects like physics have three exam papers (that's what google said btw) it would mean for you to get the grade you wanted it would have to be the top bands for the other two papers - idk but I wouldn't miss it if I was you

I actually don't have a choice... I'm not doing this on purpose.
I actually don't have a choice... I'm not doing this on purpose.

Yeah I know you said that .. but tbh missing these two papers really depends, in my perspective, if you get into the uni you want to go to
If the examiners accept you have a valid and unavoidable reason for missing some of the exams they can award you a grade based on how well you perform in the exams you do take. Your exams officer can advise

That's what I'm asking- How badly will missing a paper affect my overall grade if I get graded according to my performance in other papers?
Yeah I know you said that .. but tbh missing these two papers really depends, in my perspective, if you get into the uni you want to go to

I'm not going uni now.
That's what I'm asking- How badly will missing a paper affect my overall grade if I get graded according to my performance in other papers?

They will guess what you might have got on the paper you missed based on how well you did in the paper(s) you do take to work out an overall grade as if you'd taken all the papers
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm not going uni now.

Oh okay, but still it affects later life etc, unless you're going to re-take a year?
Oh okay, but still it affects later life etc, unless you're going to re-take a year?

Idk... I asked the uni rep here about it and they said my situation is unique? so did my teacher but I really dk.

They will guess what you might have got on the paper you missed based on how well you did in the paper(s) you do take to work out an overall grade as if you'd taken all the papers

Thanks...

Wait... so if I get certain marks on those papers, I'll get the same marks on the paper I've missed? what if I get completely different marks in the papers I'm sitting? how will they assess then?

@Muttley79 do you know?
Are you the person that does 5 A-Levels by any chance, or is that someone else?

Quick Reply

Latest