The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Transportation facilities between London and Essex University

Hi,

I have got a placement at Essex, I would want to travel from Hounslow, london to Essex colchester campus daily up and down. Is there anyone traveling daily like intend to do? Pls guide if there is a easiest and cheapest mode exist
Original post by Karthik_K
Hi,

I have got a placement at Essex, I would want to travel from Hounslow, london to Essex colchester campus daily up and down. Is there anyone traveling daily like intend to do? Pls guide if there is a easiest and cheapest mode exist

There are no direct services to Essex Uni by train from Hounslow - you'd have to change at Waterloo and again at Stratford and then it's a 20min walk from Hythe to campus lecture buildings. If you have lectures starting at 9am, you'd need to get the first train in the morning (around 5.30am), so you'd be travelling at least 6 hours minimum everyday, which is tiring and eats into your independent study time. I'm living off-campus (living at home) and it takes me 2 hours to get to campus door to door, which is annoying on days I only have one hour of class. There won't be as many classes on Zoom next year either so it's likely you'd have to attend class in person. Plus I'm sure you'd want to experience a uni life with friends rather than rushing for the train everyday.

From what I've looked up, Hounslow to Hythe (closest station to campus) is £35 return with a railcard booked in advance. If you have class everyday, that's about £175 on trains each week. Campus accommodation is much less (depends on which building and type of room you apply for, but it ranges between £110 - £200 per week) so you may as well move to Colchester. It'll save you money, time, and you can have more of a social life. They tend to have activities on campus Thursdays and Saturdays, and a lot of uni life is linked to the experience you spend making memories with friends outside of class.

In any case, I'm a current Essex Uni student, and I would advise you to apply for campus accommodation.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Dear Ryokeichi, Thank you so much for your time and effort in arranging me a detailed revert, it covers all the information i was looking for. Thansk a ton once again.

If you have time kindly clarify these below doubts that I have.
1. I am planning to go for part-time work, if it is available in nearby locations.

2. What if I stay in colchester instead of campus? Will I be able to save few bucks?
Dear Ryokeichi, Thank you so much for your time and effort in arranging me a detailed revert, it covers all the information i was looking for. Thansk a ton once again.

If you have time kindly clarify these below doubts that I have.
1. I am planning to go for part-time work, if it is available in nearby locations.

2. What if I stay in colchester instead of campus? Will I be able to save few bucks?

If not on campus, I'm sure you'd be able to find a good house share in Colchester. Quite a few of my friends have found places near the uni, though I can't remember how much they pay but it's cheaper than London (bills included) and I'm sure cheaper than taking the train everyday. And as a student, I don't think you'd want to spend so much time commuting everyday. I would start looking now though if you've decided to go Essex Uni. The early the better if you aren't going for campus accommodation.

In terms of job, I'm not sure. There are definitely jobs available, but it depends on what you're looking for. The uni offers jobs to students and there are plenty of part-time retails opportunities in the town centre. Colchester is also quite conveniently located, so you could always commute to a other nearby town to work (provided it's cost effective). The uni also has a careers website with loads of part-time and internship placements listed, as well as the few odd seasonal jobs (my friend recently got a job through the careers site to work at the Derby races next month for a few days).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ryokeichi
If not on campus, I'm sure you'd be able to find a good house share in Colchester. Quite a few of my friends have found places near the uni, though I can't remember how much they pay but it's cheaper than London (bills included) and I'm sure cheaper than taking the train everyday. And as a student, I don't think you'd want to spend so much time commuting everyday. I would start looking now though if you've decided to go Essex Uni. The early the better if you aren't going for campus accommodation.

In terms of job, I'm not sure. There are definitely jobs available, but it depends on what you're looking for. The uni offers jobs to students and there are plenty of part-time retails opportunities in the town centre. Colchester is also quite conveniently located, so you could always commute to a other nearby town to work (provided it's cost effective). The uni also has a careers website with loads of part-time and internship placements listed, as well as the few odd seasonal jobs (my friend recently got a job through the careers site to work at the Derby races next month for a few days).

Thank you so much Ryo, for the valuable insights. So, it is better to stay in campus accommodation and then trying part time work once settled down seems to be feasible under these circumstances.

The only reason why I thought of travelling from London was that I would get to part-time works easily considering the size of the city. That's now ruled out, the kind of journey I have to make daily is impossible.
Thank you so much for the valuable information Ryo.
Thank you so much Ryo, for the valuable insights. So, it is better to stay in campus accommodation and then trying part time work once settled down seems to be feasible under these circumstances.

The only reason why I thought of travelling from London was that I would get to part-time works easily considering the size of the city. That's now ruled out, the kind of journey I have to make daily is impossible.
Thank you so much for the valuable information Ryo.

Yes, I would say so if you don't have time/know how to search for housing yourself in Colchester. There are plenty of buses to the town centre, an hourly train service from Hythe, otherwise it's about 30mins by foot.

But yes, definitely get settled first then search for work once you know where you'll be living otherwise you'll have no idea what your situation for commuting to work will be like.

Glad I could help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Yes, I would say so if you don't have time/know how to search for housing yourself in Colchester. There are plenty of buses to the town centre, an hourly train service from Hythe, otherwise it's about 30mins by foot.

But yes, definitely get settled first then search for work once you know where you'll be living otherwise you'll have no idea what your situation for commenting to work will be like.

Glad I could help!

That's true, I have made up my mind now! You are amazing Ryo!!

If I can't enjoy the uni environment no point in coming all the way from India. Thanks for the valuable advice again.
Reply 7

But yes, definitely get settled first then search for work once you know where you'll be living otherwise you'll have no idea what your situation for commuting to work will be like.

Glad I could help!

Hi Ryo! Hope you are doing well.

Basis your inputs I have applied for campus accommodation, and I have got an offer too..It is costing me £750 per month only for stay. Is it reasonable or should I try private accommodation in colchester? Your views pls
Hi Ryo! Hope you are doing well.

Basis your inputs I have applied for campus accommodation, and I have got an offer too..It is costing me £750 per month only for stay. Is it reasonable or should I try private accommodation in colchester? Your views pls

That's great - you have a definite place to stay which is cheaper than traveling from Houslow everyday.

Do you know which building you have been offered? Have you asked if there are any cheaper options available? I think £750 per month is a bit expensive for Colchester and I assume they would try to fill up the more expensive student campus accommodation options first. The website shows they have cheaper buildings but of course this also depends on availability (https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/accommodation/living-on-campus/colchester-campus/rent-charges)

Definitely see if there are any options further away from campus. There are many student accommodation services - StuRents, UniLodgers, Host-Students etc. which all offer places much cheaper than £750 per month.

Either way, campus accommodation/student housing in Colchester is much cheaper than commuting from London where you'd be spending at least £700 on trains each month and that doesn't take time spent commuting into account - time is money!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Yeah, as you guessed they would be trying to fill expensive ones first. I have chosen Quays and Meadows in an order as Quays as my 1st preference but they allotted me Meadows that too premium en suite.But I doubt if I stay in a private accommodation I will have to pay all bills, plus travel of 30min to campus..all in all, will it be worth trying outside or going ahead with given option is wise?
Yeah, as you guessed they would be trying to fill expensive ones first. I have chosen Quays and Meadows in an order as Quays as my 1st preference but they allotted me Meadows that too premium en suite.But I doubt if I stay in a private accommodation I will have to pay all bills, plus travel of 30min to campus..all in all, will it be worth trying outside or going ahead with given option is wise?

I would search for options outside via student accommodation services. If unable to find anything, then you should go ahead and confirm with your place at Meadows, otherwise you might regret not looking for other options as you might be missing out on somewhere cheaper.

If you find a place in a house share, then the bills would be split up and paid by everyone living there - you wouldn't be paying for all the bills.

A 30min walk to campus is also not that bad, and it's a good chance to see something other than uni campus everyday! And on days you're feeling lazy, I'm sure you could take the bus.
Reply 11
I just have gone through those websites that you had suggested. Stu rents, host students..mostly per week cost is similar to Meadows which is £168. But then if I try hard, I may get £10 less PW, difference may not be more than that if I want individual room with attached washroom/bathroom. So...
Reply 12
They gave me time till 15th June to accept or reject the offer.
They gave me time till 15th June to accept or reject the offer.

It's entirely up to you - you could spend the next week trying your luck to see what other options you can get. I remember you were concerned about price so if paying £10 less per week (£40 less per month) fits in your budget better, then maybe it would be better to go for something off campus. But you have the option to choose Meadows on the 15th if you can't get any offers elsewhere.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Sure, I will spend this week to check other alternates, thank you for the advice 🤝
Reply 15
And one more thing I forgot to mention, the accommodation contract is for 12 months, I guess there are summer holidays in the last 3 months before course completion. I am not sure what I am going to do if stay in campus accommodation for 3 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending