The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A101 EMDP 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techwiz12345
oh nooo !!1 what is 'low' to you i think you still light have a chance at other unis !! dont fret ! kings for a101 told me my ucat was the reason i didnt get in and i also had a low ucat so make sure you are being really strategic about where you apply ! If your gcses are good bham is good to look !
also cardiff

can i know what your ucat was please??
For A101 EMDP at KCL, are GCSEs weighted the same way as A100, or are they even weighted at all?
Can you be predicted A*AA for emdp?
@Duecesusu the emdp is for people with grades lower than those required for standard entry medicine.
Original post by ash767
@Duecesusu the emdp is for people with grades lower than those required for standard entry medicine.

yes exactly !!! i know so many who had a high ucat and a levels and actually got rejected bc it was too high !!!
- its a foundation year programme for a reason and the admissions always look at that !
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 45
yes exactly !!! i know so many who had a high ucat and a levels and actually got rejected bc it was too high !!!
- its a foundation year programme for a reason and the admissions always look at that !

Is being predicted A*AA but UCAT 2630 B3 mean i would automatically get rejected?
Original post by tk334
I mean probably, maybe not AUTOMATICALLY, but probably, It’s for people as a foundation year to medicine. Like gateway years for example, they’re not for people who have the grades for medicine. If you have the grades for medicine then its not for you hence why the entry requirements are AAB and not AAA or A*AA or higher. Also with your predicted and your great UCAT score you would have a great chance at medicine as a direct route anyway, you would get at least one offer out of 4. (if I’m basing it on what my colleges admissions stats were for medicine this year.) You have similar predicted grades and UCAT score to what people got who got accepted for 22 entry. This is designed for people who meet widening participation criteria and live in low-progression areas and who went to low attainment schools as well, which is needed as well as having the required average grades.
ALSO just because you have Band 3 doesn’t necessarily put you at an advantage, some unis like Aston in Birmingham don’t look at SJT at all whereas some like Hull York medical school look at SJT TWICE in the selection process, so you wouldn’t really have a chance there at all as they’re going to pick the people with band one and two. If you need any help reply to this as I have studied the selection processes for UCAT, SJT, Grades a lot :h:

Couldn't have phrased it any better !!! It is specifically designed for people in low progression etc... however ur ucat isnt bad !! there are places that would accept ur ucat and give an interview !!!
Reply 47
Original post by tk334
I mean probably, maybe not AUTOMATICALLY, but probably, It’s for people as a foundation year to medicine. Like gateway years for example, they’re not for people who have the grades for medicine. If you have the grades for medicine then its not for you hence why the entry requirements are AAB and not AAA or A*AA or higher. Also with your predicted and your great UCAT score you would have a great chance at medicine as a direct route anyway, you would get at least one offer out of 4. (if I’m basing it on what my colleges admissions stats were for medicine this year.) You have similar predicted grades and UCAT score to what people got who got accepted for 22 entry. This is designed for people who meet widening participation criteria and live in low-progression areas and who went to low attainment schools as well, which is needed as well as having the required average grades.
ALSO just because you have Band 3 doesn’t necessarily put you at an advantage, some unis like Aston in Birmingham don’t look at SJT at all whereas some like Hull York medical school look at SJT TWICE in the selection process, so you wouldn’t really have a chance there at all as they’re going to pick the people with band one and two. If you need any help reply to this as I have studied the selection processes for UCAT, SJT, Grades a lot :h:

Okay, thank you sm! My stats are 999888776 (6 in eng lang), predicted A*AA, 2630 B3. I was thinking of applying to King's emdp, Plymouth, Hull york (as i meet the contextual criteria so get extra 15 points), & Sunderland. Would you maybe have any more viable suggestions? I also meet a few contextual criteria's.
Original post by docxo
Okay, thank you sm! My stats are 999888776 (6 in eng lang), predicted A*AA, 2630 B3. I was thinking of applying to King's emdp, Plymouth, Hull york (as i meet the contextual criteria so get extra 15 points), & Sunderland. Would you maybe have any more viable suggestions? I also meet a few contextual criteria's.

your a levels are way above the what kings needs of abb - have you looked at keele? also look at UEA, OR QUB, NOTTS, Aberdeen, edge hill, liverpool too !!
Original post by tk334
@docxo historically people have been rejected from kings for EMDP if they’re have the grades for medicine. Sunderland is a good one with your UCAT SCORE, however Keele and Sunderland have something called a Roles and Responsibilities form… this is what they use mainly and them 2 unis in particular don’t focus on personal statement that much. They make you fill this form out after you have submitted your application and you have 2 weeks to fill it out after Oct 15th. What happens it theres about 5 sections, they score each one and give a total score. The people with the highest scores in r&r are invited for interview. So this means people who have been carers for people, done good voluntary work (the more you do the more credit you get BARE IN MIND you CANNOT LIE as they want the name, address, contact details and times/ days you volunteered, cared, worked etc etc) and worked, for example someone who has worked in a hospital or done lots of voluntary work over a long period of time they will score higher and be more likely to get an interview. Notts is good if you have A’s in GCSE science as well.

Yes !! Forgot about Sunderland !!! There’s no point applying with high high grades as they have been known to reject people !! ( my best friend for example - 3A*) !!!
Reply 50
Hello,
My stats: A level: AABB(achieved)
GCSEs:99887( I have only 5GCSEs)
UCAT:2550 B2
Based on my grades am I likely to get an interview or be rejected?
I meet the other non-academic requirement but I am not sure what they mean by non-selective state school. Does anyone know what does it mean and how can I know if my school is non-selective or not?
Can you apply to emdp with AAA? It’s higher than ABB but lower than standard
Original post by tk334
Lower than standard as in how?… AAA is what majority of medical schools A100 course ask for. Except for some like Keele which is A*AA for example

No speaking only in terms of kings, the standard course at kings is A*AA whereas the emdp is ABB. I saw some people previously saying on tsr that apparently kcl will reject you if you apply to the emdp with grades that are high enough for the standard A100 programme ie A*AA. But I’m wondering if they’ll allow AAA for the emdp as this is lower than the standard requirements but higher than emdp requirements. Sorry for any confusion :smile:
Reply 53
i dont really know if kings emdp really cares that much about high grades or UCAT, last year there were loads of people with 2800-3000+ UCAT score, and there were people with predicted grades a lot higher than what was needed, like me who had a predicted grade of 3 A* and i still got an offer, but it still might be risky watch out!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Everyone!

I got 2760B1 in my UCAT.
My GCSE'S are 9999998888
My predicted grades are 3A*S in Bio, Chem and Phys.

I am elligible for the EMDP, could i get in?
Original post by Riley123456
Hi Everyone!

I got 2760B1 in my UCAT.
My GCSE'S are 9999998888
My predicted grades are 3A*S in Bio, Chem and Phys.

I am elligible for the EMDP, could i get in?

Hi there - I am going to copy what someone else has wisely said on here :

Like gateway years for example, they’re not for people who have the grades for medicine. If you have the grades for medicine then its not for you hence why the entry requirements are ABB and not AAA or A*AA or higher. Also with your predicted and your great UCAT score you would have a great chance at medicine as a direct route anyway, you would get at least one offer out of 4. (if I’m basing it on what my colleges admissions stats were for medicine this year.) You have similar predicted grades and UCAT score to what people got who got accepted for 22 entry. This is designed for people who meet widening participation criteria and live in low-progression areas and who went to low attainment schools as well, which is needed as well as having the required average grades.

aka - you have the grades for med via the normal 5 year course so they would see that and the admissions probably wouldn't favour you due to already having the ucat and grades for the standard course - This course is for people who DO NOT have the ucat and grades for medicine !!
Its a FOUNDATION year for a reason - you have MUCH better option to chose from which would be wiser for you especially with your 3 a* predictions !!!! like exeter for example also queen mary in london and st georges would defo be safe for you, also think about liverpool or Birmingham - you have SO many great options !!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 56
Original post by tk334
Lower than standard as in how?… AAA is what majority of medical schools A100 course ask for. Except for some like Keele which is A*AA for example

Your applying to one of the best med schools in the world bro, its on similar levels to UCL, Imperial etc
Hi there - I am going to copy what someone else has wisely said on here :

Like gateway years for example, they’re not for people who have the grades for medicine. If you have the grades for medicine then its not for you hence why the entry requirements are ABB and not AAA or A*AA or higher. Also with your predicted and your great UCAT score you would have a great chance at medicine as a direct route anyway, you would get at least one offer out of 4. (if I’m basing it on what my colleges admissions stats were for medicine this year.) You have similar predicted grades and UCAT score to what people got who got accepted for 22 entry. This is designed for people who meet widening participation criteria and live in low-progression areas and who went to low attainment schools as well, which is needed as well as having the required average grades.

aka - you have the grades for med via the normal 5 year course so they would see that and the admissions probably wouldn't favour you due to already having the ucat and grades for the standard course - This course is for people who DO NOT have the ucat and grades for medicine !!
Its a FOUNDATION year for a reason - you have MUCH better option to chose from which would be wiser for you especially with your 3 a* predictions !!!! like exeter for example also queen mary in london and st georges would defo be safe for you, also think about liverpool or Birmingham - you have SO many great options !!!

Hi,
Thank you i see what youre saying but i think whoever you copied that from needs to calm down because getting good grades doesnt mean im not from a low attainment school in a low progression area because both of those things apply to me. I came on here as people on the A100 thread said my ucat may be too low for the A100 but i think im just gonna apply to the A100. Again whoever you copied that from needs to take a step back and think about what they say before they say it :smile:
Original post by Riley123456
Hi,
Thank you i see what youre saying but i think whoever you copied that from needs to calm down because getting good grades doesnt mean im not from a low attainment school in a low progression area because both of those things apply to me. I came on here as people on the A100 thread said my ucat may be too low for the A100 but i think im just gonna apply to the A100. Again whoever you copied that from needs to take a step back and think about what they say before they say it :smile:

awww no problem !!! yes i agree its a bit harsh but i guess they only want you to get a place :smile: I think you are right too - A100 is defo worth it since your grades are amazing - good luck !!!
Sorry- I don't want to keep this thread on a loop, but should I apply to EMDP despite having the predicted grades for A100?
I am an access student who will be predicted 45/45 distinctions (getting those 45 Ds is a different story), which would allow me to apply to A100, however my UCAT isn't king's competitive- 2690 B2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending