The Student Room Group

Geography NEAs

I'm about to start my Geography NEA and I have chosen perceptions in the regeneration topic, basically I just want to know and get any advice to help me get all the possible marks I can get.
Reply 1
I did my NEA on perceptions/ deprivation and stuff to do with the built environment. I got a mark that I'm really proud of so maybe I can help?
Make sure you have a good and well planned cohort of sampling strategies to use. You need to be able to thoroughly explain why you chose the strategy, what it entails and

Literature Review !! Do some reading on the topic you've decided to do and have lots of perspectives of you current topic in the literature review. You also need to reference the geographical theory (possibly backed up by papers/ research from others that you've read or just from school) all throughout your document for your NEA.
Formatting is pretty important. The structure of the NEA needs to be clear and well thought through, typically following an outline like - intro, literature review, hypotheses/questions, sampling strategies (including things like ethical considerations and risk assessment), data presentation, analysis and discussion, conclusions made from the project and evaluation of all the things you achieved.

A large range of different data presentation techniques is useful, ranging from qualitative data (word clouds) and quantitative data (charts, graphs) and statistical tests (spearman's rank, mann whitney U, chi squared - which ones depend on the data collected). For this reason, I recommend you become friends with excel. Spatial representation is also very important! Arcgis or google maps are irreplacable tools to use to depict geolocated data (this is a must for the nea to get top marks) - the spatial context should be included in nearly every section from introduction to the sample area(s) to the sample strategies to the data analysis and data presentation. Secondary data is also useful to find if you can.

No need to be concerned about recommended word counts. Most people went over the recommended wordcount of 4000 for our NEAs. If the extra words are worth it and valuable to the project, it doesn't matter if it goes over (for example, I got to around 10,000 words).

Sorry I went on a bit about what's needed but I think these are things that you definitely need to be aware of.
Reply 2
Original post by fluous
Make sure you have a good and well planned cohort of sampling strategies to use. You need to be able to thoroughly explain why you chose the strategy, what it entails and

omg I meant to write ' You need to be able to thoroughly explain why you chose the strategy, what it entails and the geographical theory backing it (both qualitative and quantitative data is needed probably because it's a human project)'
Reply 3
Original post by fluous
I did my NEA on perceptions/ deprivation and stuff to do with the built environment. I got a mark that I'm really proud of so maybe I can help?

Literature Review !! Do some reading on the topic you've decided to do and have lots of perspectives of you current topic in the literature review. You also need to reference the geographical theory (possibly backed up by papers/ research from others that you've read or just from school) all throughout your document for your NEA.
Formatting is pretty important. The structure of the NEA needs to be clear and well thought through, typically following an outline like - intro, literature review, hypotheses/questions, sampling strategies (including things like ethical considerations and risk assessment), data presentation, analysis and discussion, conclusions made from the project and evaluation of all the things you achieved.

A large range of different data presentation techniques is useful, ranging from qualitative data (word clouds) and quantitative data (charts, graphs) and statistical tests (spearman's rank, mann whitney U, chi squared - which ones depend on the data collected). For this reason, I recommend you become friends with excel. Spatial representation is also very important! Arcgis or google maps are irreplacable tools to use to depict geolocated data (this is a must for the nea to get top marks) - the spatial context should be included in nearly every section from introduction to the sample area(s) to the sample strategies to the data analysis and data presentation. Secondary data is also useful to find if you can.

No need to be concerned about recommended word counts. Most people went over the recommended wordcount of 4000 for our NEAs. If the extra words are worth it and valuable to the project, it doesn't matter if it goes over (for example, I got to around 10,000 words).

Sorry I went on a bit about what's needed but I think these are things that you definitely need to be aware of.

Thank you so much for this, it has helped a lot. do you have anything that could possibly help with the butlers model for NEA and perceptions of tourism?
Reply 4
Original post by Hollz_
Thank you so much for this, it has helped a lot. do you have anything that could possibly help with the butlers model for NEA and perceptions of tourism?

Sorry I don't really know a lot about that since mine was mostly based on safety perceptions and tourism didn't come into it. I'm glad I could help a little bit though !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending