The Student Room Group

Maths vs economics degree for career opportunities

I was interested in an economics degree as I thought it would be something I would enjoy but I was having second thoughts thinking maths might be better for career prospects

My question is would an economics degree open up the same doors as a maths degree? and would i be able to apply to jobs such as actuary, business analyst, data science with an economics degree?

I enjoyed maths at a-level but I've heard at univeristy it is very abstract and completely different.

I want to keep as many options open as possible so would an economics degree be good?
the answer to your question is yes. just make sure the modules are more finance based
Original post by Help......
I was interested in an economics degree as I thought it would be something I would enjoy but I was having second thoughts thinking maths might be better for career prospects

My question is would an economics degree open up the same doors as a maths degree? and would i be able to apply to jobs such as actuary, business analyst, data science with an economics degree?

I enjoyed maths at a-level but I've heard at univeristy it is very abstract and completely different.

I want to keep as many options open as possible so would an economics degree be good?

General advice would be to do what you think you'd enjoy the most, rather than what has the best career prospects. Ultimately both have good prospects so you might as well do the one you enjoy more. Or do what I did and do a BSc Maths and Economics 😅 best of both worlds.

Generally maths opens more doors than economics. This is because the only door that maths can't really open that Econ can is to be an economist (although often you can do a maths undergrad and go straight to an Econ master's to be an economist if you want). Whereas whilst it's certainly not impossible for economics grads to go into DS or actuarial work, it's not very common. Hard to tell how much of the difference is that Econ grads don't normally target these jobs, versus whether the difference is because the maths ability isn't quite on that level. As such, I'd probably recommend a maths degree if your interest was equal as it opens more doors, but generally you should just do what you'll enjoy most

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending