The Student Room Group

Mitosis calculation

Could someone explain to me how you would work out the %cells undergoing mitosis section I don’t know how you’d do that.image.jpg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sarwat.
Could someone explain to me how you would work out the %cells undergoing mitosis section I don’t know how you’d do that.image.jpg

would it be possible to share the whole question? % cells undergoing mitosis (aka. mitotic index) is calculated by doing:
(number of cells undergoing mitosis/ total number of cells) x 100
the number of cells undergoing mitosis would include the values in the prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase as shown in the table
and the total number of cells would include the values of interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Hi thanks for the help, this is the whole question, I tried to do what you said and for the calculation and I did 28/32 and then multiplied that by 100 however I got 87.5%, could you explain how you would get 22.5 with the figures shown. Could you also try and explain v) the answer for that is 135 minutes. Thank you (:
for the first part, i did the reverse calculation using the % and found that the total population is 120.
12+5+7+3 = 27
(27/x)*100 = 22.5, so x=120 cells in total populations

so this works for the rest of the calculations. for example,
21+6+2+8 = 37
(37/120) * 100 = 30.8%

for the second part, is there a question for more context?

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending