The Student Room Group

will they mark my solution? (GCSE MATHS EDEXCEL HIGHER)

In paper 2 for the volume question (3D shapes) I initially had the wrong answer, but in the last minute I worked it out and got the correct answer. I crossed out the wrong answer and wrote the new one.

However, the solution for the right answer was on continuation paper, and I didn't have time to cross out the old solutions which gave the wrong answer.

Will they mark the solution that gave me the right answer and ignore the wrong ones? I rlly hope so because that question alone can move me up a grade 😔
No, the examiner marks the first thing they see. it says on the first page, anything you dont want marked, cross it out.

And what do you mean continuation paper? If it was a separate sheet then i doubt it would be marked and most likely would get lost.
Original post by bubbles0092
In paper 2 for the volume question (3D shapes) I initially had the wrong answer, but in the last minute I worked it out and got the correct answer. I crossed out the wrong answer and wrote the new one.

However, the solution for the right answer was on continuation paper, and I didn't have time to cross out the old solutions which gave the wrong answer.

Will they mark the solution that gave me the right answer and ignore the wrong ones? I rlly hope so because that question alone can move me up a grade 😔

I'm not entirely sure but I do remember my old maths teacher saying that sometimes if correct numbers were visible as part of the solution then certain marks were awarded. This was in the context of not crossing work out so much that the old answer couldn't be seen
Original post by krypton114
No, the examiner marks the first thing they see. it says on the first page, anything you dont want marked, cross it out.

And what do you mean continuation paper? If it was a separate sheet then i doubt it would be marked and most likely would get lost.

you can ask for continuation pape if you run out of space, it's provided by exam boards and you write your candidate details etc
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
I'm not entirely sure but I do remember my old maths teacher saying that sometimes if correct numbers were visible as part of the solution then certain marks were awarded. This was in the context of not crossing work out so much that the old answer couldn't be seen

Oh, ok. Would my correct answer gain a mark since I crossed out the old one?

From the official marking guidance given in every mark scheme:
Choice of method
If there is a choice of methods shown, mark the method that leads to the answer given on the answer line.
If no answer appears on the answer line, mark both methods then award the lower number of marks.

If the right answer is on the answer line and the right working is on the continuation sheet then you should get full marks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh, ok. Would my correct answer gain a mark since I crossed out the old one?

I think it's difficult to say not being a marker nor seeing your answer. I would hope from what you've said they will award you some marks especially if you have crossed out the old final answer. I honestly would try not to dwell on it too much now though :smile:
you can ask for continuation pape if you run out of space, it's provided by exam boards and you write your candidate details etc

I guess it would be ok but its confusing, its all up to the examiner. remember they get paid like £2 a paper so they gotta mark fast.
Original post by gdunne42
From the official marking guidance given in every mark scheme:
Choice of method
If there is a choice of methods shown, mark the method that leads to the answer given on the answer line.
If no answer appears on the answer line, mark both methods then award the lower number of marks.

If the right answer is on the answer line and the right working is on the continuation sheet then you should get full marks.

thank you! also, I crossed out my old answer and it's like, above the old one so it's not really on the line? does it count as being on the line 😭
thank you! also, I crossed out my old answer and it's like, above the old one so it's not really on the line? does it count as being on the line 😭

If it's clearly meant for the answer line, you shouldn't worry. It would be a problem if the answer was instead somewhere in the middle of the page.
(edited 1 year ago)

yes, that sounds totally fine

Quick Reply

Latest